Tuesday, August 18, 2026

Abducted corps members freed after N5 million ransom payment in Ondo

She added that the victims were rescued and are currently in the hospital facility where they are receiving treatment.

• July 22, 2024
Bandits and NYSC

The members of the National Youths Service Corps (NYSC) abducted in Ose Local Government Area of Ondo state have regained their freedom, Peoples Gazette learnt.

The corps members were among the travellers kidnapped by bandits on Omi Afala road at Ifon last week.

The families of one of the kidnapped victims, who confirmed the release of their release, said the corps members were set free after paying ransom.

“They (corps members) were released today after we gathered five million for the bandits. Each of the victims paid one million each before they were set free,” one of the family members told The Gazette in a chat.

He added that the victims have been moved to the hospital where they are currently receiving treatment following the bruise and trauma they experienced in the kidnappers’ den.

When contacted for reactions, the police spokesperson in the state, Funmilayo Odunlami-Omisanya confirmed the release of the abducted victims.

Ms Odunlami-Omisanya, who later issued a statement said the victims were abandoned inside the forests after the police mounted pressure.

She added that the victims were rescued and are currently in the hospital facility where they are receiving treatment.

“The command this day on the 22nd of July has found victims of the Ose/Ifon area kidnap which occurred on 18th July, 2024.

“The victims were abandoned by their assailants after the police mounted pressure on the kidnappers.

“Policemen drawn from the Tactical squad led by the Area Commander of Owo, ACP Olufemi Awoyale continuously combing of the Bush with sustained technical support frustrated the assailants and were forced to abandon the victims at Oyinbo/ Sanusi Camp.

“The victims are currently being attended to at the Police Medical Services Owo, and will be handed over to their family members after being debriefed,” her statement read.

The Gazette had reported how bandits waylaid the travellers on the notorious Omi Alafa road in Ifon, Ose LGA of the state, killing two persons and abducting some corps members. 

We have recently deactivated our website's comment provider in favour of other channels of distribution and commentary. We encourage you to join the conversation on our stories via our Facebook, Twitter and other social media pages.

More from Peoples Gazette

farmers

Agriculture

FG tasks ECOWAS on leveraging financing strategies for agroecology

The federal government has urged stakeholders in the agriculture and finance sectors in the West Africa region to leverage financing strategies to enhance agroecology practices

Katsina State

Politics

Katsina youths pledge to deliver over 2 million votes to Atiku

“Katsina State is Atiku’s political base because it is his second home.”

victims rescued in Katsina

States

14 kidnap victims rescued in Katsina

Troops rescued six males and eight females abducted in Katsina State.

Nnaji Chidiebere

States

Police arrest suspected transformer vandal in Enugu

Police said the suspect was found unconscious with various degrees of injuries.

U.S. Department of Justice

World

U.S. govt indicts 17 Iranians over cyber theft

Prosecutors said the suspects allegedly stole more than 31 terabytes of data from institutions across the U.S.

Governor Hyacinth Alia

States

Gov Alia nominates six new commissioners, seeks Benue assembly’s approval

The governor said the nominations were intended to strengthen the state executive council by filling existing vacancies and replacing outgoing members.

Riley Moore and Bola Tinubu

Heading 1

Nigeria should remain designated ‘country of particular concern’, Tinubu allowing slaughtering of Christians: U.S. Lawmaker

“Do not remove the CPC designation for Nigeria. They have not done near enough to protect Christians! They continue to get slaughtered,” Mr Moore said.

President Bola Tinubu

NationWide

Tinubu pledges peaceful campaign ahead of 2027 elections

“Let us remember that elections are not a do-or-die affair. We are partners in the project of nation-building,” he said.