Monday, August 17, 2026

Abuja-Kaduna Train Derailment: Minister says investigations ongoing

Minister of Transportation, Saidu Alkali, says investigations on the recent Abuja-Kaduna train derailment are ongoing.

• September 1, 2025
A derailed NRC train
A derailed NRC train [Credit: Channels Television]

Minister of Transportation, Saidu Alkali, says investigations on the recent Abuja-Kaduna train derailment are ongoing.

Speaking to State House correspondents in Abuja alongside the managing director of the Nigerian Railway Corporation, Kayode Opeifa, Mr Alkali said, “We have fixed the point machine from here up to Kaduna, and since then, there has been no issue of derailment. Investigations are still ongoing, and we don’t want to preempt the committee until it submits its report.

“A point machine, also known as a switch motor, is a device that moves rail turnout blades, allowing trains to change tracks safely and efficiently.”

Mr Alkali acknowledged that vandalism continued to pose a serious challenge to railway safety, despite ongoing arrests and prosecutions of those damaging rail infrastructure. He confirmed that four out of ten derailed coaches had been recovered using specialised railway cranes and equipment.

He also revealed that procurement was underway to extend the rail line from Warri to Ajaokuta and eventually to Abuja.

Mr Opeifa noted that nationwide, rail tracks “are constantly targeted by vandals and scrap syndicates”.

He added, “But with specific reference to this incident, the track showed no signs of sabotage or structural failure. Our initial findings indicate it was an operational accident at a junction point.”

He confirmed that all 618 passengers on board the train were successfully evacuated without any loss of life or serious injuries.

Mr Opeifa assured that efforts were ongoing to restore full train services, stressing that passenger safety and service reliability remained top priorities.

Additionally, Mr Opeifa apologised to the Nigeria Union of Journalists over a reported altercation involving the former national chairperson of the Nigeria Association of Women Journalists, Ladi Bala, during media coverage of the derailment.

“If any journalist or medium felt excluded or not well treated at the accident scene, I take full responsibility and sincerely apologise. We are committed to transparency and will continue to provide the press with access and information as events unfold,” Mr Opeifa said.

(NAN)

We have recently deactivated our website's comment provider in favour of other channels of distribution and commentary. We encourage you to join the conversation on our stories via our Facebook, Twitter and other social media pages.

More from Peoples Gazette

farmers

Agriculture

FG tasks ECOWAS on leveraging financing strategies for agroecology

The federal government has urged stakeholders in the agriculture and finance sectors in the West Africa region to leverage financing strategies to enhance agroecology practices

Katsina State

Politics

Katsina youths pledge to deliver over 2 million votes to Atiku

“Katsina State is Atiku’s political base because it is his second home.”

Nigerian Society of Engineers

States

NSE calls for engineering innovation to tackle Nigeria’s security challenges

The chairman urged young engineers to embrace continuous professional development.

States

Ex-lawmaker decries attacks on APC chieftain Igbokwe’s Anambra residence

He described the vandalisation of Mr Igbokwe’s residence as unacceptable.

NDLEA

Lagos

NDLEA destroys N301 billion worth of cocaine, others in Lagos

The drugs were destroyed on Monday following a court order.

Court room used to illustrate the story

States

Police arraign man for alleged N1.8 million motorcycle theft

The prosecutor said the defendant and one other suspect, still at large, committed the offence on August 7 in Ado-Ekiti.

Kwara State

States

Kwara unveils roadmap to tackle viral hepatitis

Kwara State government on Monday inaugurated a comprehensive viral hepatitis elimination roadmap.

Courtroom

Lagos

Lagos police arraign three men over alleged N1.9 million theft

The magistrate adjourned the case until September 2 for mention.