Abuja missing as Trump admin shortlists 20 African cities for visa processing

Nigeria’s capital city, Abuja, is missing from the Donald Trump administration’s shortlist of 20 African cities where foreigners seeking to travel to the United States can process visa applications.
The U.S. currently has around 50 embassies and consulates across Africa that process visa applications, but the new move by the State Department will slash that number to 20 amid Mr Trump’s crackdown on immigration.
Secretary of State Marco Rubio approved the directive last week, the Associated Press reported, citing senior U.S. officials and an internal memo.
Although no date has been set to implement the change, it is expected to take effect in June.
However, the visa-processing hub in Lagos, Nigeria’s commercial and most populous city, will remain open.
Also remaining open are the centres in Abidjan, Ivory Coast; Accra, Ghana; Addis Ababa, Ethiopia; Cape Town, South Africa; Dakar, Senegal; Dar es Salaam, Tanzania; Djibouti, Djibouti; Johannesburg, South Africa; and Kampala, Uganda.
Others are Kigali, Rwanda; Kinshasa, Congo; Lome, Togo; Luanda, Angola; Malabo, Equatorial Guinea; Monrovia, Liberia; Nairobi, Kenya; Port Louis, Mauritius; Praia, Cape Verde; and Yaounde, Cameroon.
The move will require applicants from countries not included in the list to travel to designated centres in other African nations to process their visa applications.
Meanwhile, consular services will continue in non-hub countries, including U.S. citizens’ passport renewals, emergency assistance, diplomatic visa applications, and special national-interest cases.
The State Department said the development came as it was “constantly evaluating its overseas operations in order to deploy taxpayer resources in a way that advances America’s priorities as efficiently and effectively as possible”.
It said this “includes a visa process that maintains rigorous standards of security screening and vetting and aligns resources and operational capacity with America’s national interests”.
An official told the AP that U.S. diplomats were informed during a conference call last Friday of the development and a planned reduction in personnel at embassies and consulates worldwide.
Already, Nigeria and other African countries have been affected by U.S. travel and visa restrictions due to insecurity and identity vetting challenges; some visa applicants are required to post bonds of up to $15,000.
Recently, authorities introduced additional travel restrictions due to the Ebola outbreak.
Since returning to the White House last year, Mr Trump has moved to limit immigration into the U.S., citing a high rate of visa overstays and identity fraud, among other issues.
We have recently deactivated our website's comment provider in favour of other channels of distribution and commentary. We encourage you to join the conversation on our stories via our Facebook, Twitter and other social media pages.
More from Peoples Gazette

Agriculture
FG tasks ECOWAS on leveraging financing strategies for agroecology
The federal government has urged stakeholders in the agriculture and finance sectors in the West Africa region to leverage financing strategies to enhance agroecology practices

Politics
Katsina youths pledge to deliver over 2 million votes to Atiku
“Katsina State is Atiku’s political base because it is his second home.”

Anti-Corruption
China’s billionaire Evergrande founder Hui Ka-Yan sentenced to life in prison, personal property to be confiscated
The founder and former chairman of China Evergrande Group, Hui Ka-Yan, has been sentenced to life imprisonment after pleading guilty to corporate bribery.

Anti-Corruption
Corruption Proceeds: Tinubu meets EFCC chairman, housing minister on how to manage, dispose of seized properties
The meeting reviewed how to manage seized residential properties in line with the principles of transparency and accountability.

Abuja
Tinubu govt looted fuel subsidy funds, I’ll restore policy if elected president: Atiku
“Where is the money? They stole it. I will return fuel subsidy. The big thing was that they removed the subsidy, but where is the money?” stated Mr Abubakar.

Rights
El-Rufai’s request for transfer of trial to another judge rejected
Kaduna’s chief judge said there was no basis to transfer Mr El-Rufai’s case file from Justice Darius Khobo of the Kaduna State High Court.

Politics
Let us debate issues, Tinubu challenges Atiku, Obi ahead of 2027 presidential poll
Let us campaign on superior ideas. Let us debate issues and promote the best policies to expand opportunities for our people.

Uncategorized
Why Nigeria is becoming an interesting market for international online casinos
Nigeria has an established betting culture, giving gaming businesses a starting point as they assess how consumers discover, compare and use platforms.






