After signing, Buhari accuses National Assembly of padding 2022 budget

President Muhammadu Buhari voiced discontent with the National Assembly’s modifications to the 2022 budget after signing it on Friday, claiming that they could stymie the smooth running of the federal government’s plan.
Mr Buhari expressed reservations about the assembly’s decision to designate new provisions totaling N36.59 billion for National Assembly projects in the Service Wide Vote, claiming that it violated the separation of powers and financial autonomy of both arm of government.
Increased projected independent revenue for the federal government by $400 billion, reduction in the provision for Sinking Fund to Retire Maturing Bonds by N22 billion, and reduction in the provision for Non-Regular Allowances of the Nigerian Police Force and the Nigerian Navy by N15 billion and N5 billion, respectively, all without explanation are also matters of concern for the president.
Mr Buhari was also concerned about the amendments to the original executive proposal, which included new entries, outright removals, reductions and/or increases in the amounts allocated to projects, as well as the elimination of provisions for 10,733 projects and the addition of 6,576 new projects to the budget.
Most of the projects introduced, he claims, are related to areas that are primarily the responsibility of state and local governments, and do not appear to have been adequately conceptualised, developed, or costed.
As soon as the lawmakers return from recess, President Buhari said he will approach the National Assembly with a request for an amendment to ensure that crucial current projects important to his administration do not suffer a delay as a result of reduced financing.
During the presentation of the 2022 Appropriation Bill, he stated that the fiscal year 2022 will be vital to his administration’s efforts to finish and implement critical agenda projects, as well as enhance Nigerians’ overall living standards.
We have recently deactivated our website's comment provider in favour of other channels of distribution and commentary. We encourage you to join the conversation on our stories via our Facebook, Twitter and other social media pages.
More from Peoples Gazette

Agriculture
FG tasks ECOWAS on leveraging financing strategies for agroecology
The federal government has urged stakeholders in the agriculture and finance sectors in the West Africa region to leverage financing strategies to enhance agroecology practices

Politics
Katsina youths pledge to deliver over 2 million votes to Atiku
“Katsina State is Atiku’s political base because it is his second home.”

Economy
Nigerian businesses offered platform to fight AI-driven cybercrime
Digital Encode, a Nigerian cybersecurity company, says it has deployed an AI platform to help organisations fight increasingly sophisticated cybercrime.

States
Kano assembly seeks modernisation of Murtala library to boost reading culture
The Kano State House of Assembly has urged the state government to urgently undertake a total overhaul and facelift of the state-owned library.

States
APM wins Bauchi local govt elections
Some opposition parties boycotted the elections, alleging that the exercise contravened the 2026 Bauchi State Electoral Act.

Sport
FIFA sacks chief operating officer after criticising Infantino’s investment plan
Mr Lamour’s dismissal was confirmed by a FIFA spokesperson, who said the COO would be relieved of his responsibilities effective Monday.

States
Oyebamiji begs Adeleke, IGP Disu to stop post-election violent attacks on APC members
“I wish to alert the state government and security agents to the growing trend of hostility and violence against our members and supporters,” Mr Oyebamiji said on Tuesday.

Hot news Home top
‘This is probably my last year of football,’ says Ronaldo
“This is probably my last year of football, and I want to leave a spectacular legacy,” said Ronaldo.






