Thursday, August 20, 2026

Akure socialite died in brothel after sex romp with mistress: Police

She said the suspects would be charged to court after police findings.

• January 13, 2024
Olufunmilayo Odunlami-Omisanya
Olufunmilayo Odunlami-Omisanya

Sunday Bayo, a popular Akure-based socialite known as ‘Saybayo’, whose corpse was found last year within a residential estate, died in a brothel, the police revealed.

Mr Bayo, 43, was killed a few weeks before Christmas last year December, then by unidentified persons – shortly after he was declared missing by his families and friends.

His corpse was found inside his black tainted vehicle in a gruesome manner in the Ijapo Estate, a popular private residential area being accommodated by the rich in the state capital, Akure.

Video footage showing the remains of the deceased in a pool of blood had then circulated on social media, generating angry reactions from his colleagues who attributed his death to political assassination.

But confirming his death in a release on Friday, Ondo police spokeswoman, Funmilayo Odunlami-Omisanya, said the popular socialie died after a sex romp with his mistress at a brothel in Ijapo Estate.

Mrs Odunlami-Omisanya revealed that the long arms of detectives from the Special Weapons and Tactics Team caught up with his mistress, identified as Atinuke Adeniyi, who had affairs with the deceased before he died.

“The SWAT team, through intelligence-led policing, apprehended one Atinuke Adeniyi ‘f’ aged 29years who claimed she and the deceased were involved in a romantic affair and that on the 9th, a day before the corpse was dumped, she and the deceased made out at a brothel in Ijapo, after which the deceased started convulsing and out of fear she abandoned him and quietly left the room,” she explained.

Mrs Odunlami-Omisanya further noted that the suspect, Ms Adeniyi, led the team to the brothel where one Adeojo Ilesanmi, 50, the owner of the building, was arrested and confessed.

“He (Ilesanmi) confessed to having driven the corpse to the scene where it was found from his brothel with claims that he was afraid when he realized the deceased died in his brothel.”

She, however, said investigation was still in progress over the murder case, stressing that the suspects would be charged to court after police findings.

We have recently deactivated our website's comment provider in favour of other channels of distribution and commentary. We encourage you to join the conversation on our stories via our Facebook, Twitter and other social media pages.

More from Peoples Gazette

farmers

Agriculture

FG tasks ECOWAS on leveraging financing strategies for agroecology

The federal government has urged stakeholders in the agriculture and finance sectors in the West Africa region to leverage financing strategies to enhance agroecology practices

Katsina State

Politics

Katsina youths pledge to deliver over 2 million votes to Atiku

“Katsina State is Atiku’s political base because it is his second home.”

Uncategorized

Why Nigeria is becoming an interesting market for international online casinos

Nigeria has an established betting culture, giving gaming businesses a starting point as they assess how consumers discover, compare and use platforms.

UNICEF

Port Harcourt

UNICEF seeks ethical reporting of children

The speakers stressed that the media could either compound children’s burdens or help protect them. 

Ebonyi State CP Urunwa Okafor

States

Ebonyi LG Poll: Police announce movement restriction

Ms Okafor warned that anyone found engaging in acts capable of causing a breakdown of law and order would face the full weight of the law.

Scene at the Ataoja's palace.

Heading 1

Suspected cultists denied access to Davido at Ataoja’s palace shot 60-year-old man dead: Police 

Police said the incident occurred around Ita-Olokan area of Osogbo at about 4 p.m., shortly after the governor visited the monarch alongside Davido. 

Peter Mbah

Heading 2

Gov. Mbah appoints 23 new SAs, SSAs

Mr Onyia said the appointments take immediate effect.

Music console

Hot news Home top

Nigeria, Kenya lose $286 million music revenue annually to copyright gaps: U.S.

She urged policymakers to ratify and fully implement the WIPO Copyright Treaty.Â