Al-Minuki’s execution reminder that we will hunt down those killing Christians in Nigeria: Trump Govt

The government of President Donald Trump has said that the execution of ISIS second-in-command Abu-Bilal al-Minuki and his foot soldiers on Nigerian soil is a reminder that American forces will go after enemies of the country and those killing Christians around the world.
Peter Hegseth, U.S. Secretary of War, disclosed this in a statement on his official X page, lauding American and Nigerian forces for the successful operation.
“Last night U.S. forces, in coordination with the Armed Forces of Nigeria, killed Abu-Bilal al-Minuki and other ISIS leaders,” Mr Hegseth said. “Back in November 2025, President Trump declared to the world that we will help protect Christians in Nigeria and instructed the Department of War to prepare for action.”
The American Secretary of War said U.S. forces have been hunting the slain ISIS kingpin for several months, adding that his execution on Friday is a reminder that American forces will hunt down their enemies and those killing Christians in Nigeria.
“So, for months, we hunted this top ISIS leader in Nigeria who was killing Christians, and we killed him—and his entire posse,” Mr Hegseth said.
He added, “Operations like last night’s demonstrate the exceptional lethality, patience and skill of U.S. forces, amplified alongside willing and capable partners, to address shared threats. This should serve as a reminder that we will hunt down those who wish to harm Americans or innocent Christians, wherever they are.”
The execution of Mr Al-Minuki comes five months after President Donald Trump ordered airstrikes against terrorists in their enclave in Sokoto State on December 25, 2025, after months of campaigning over alleged Christian genocide in Nigeria.
Though the Nigerian government has repeatedly denied claims of Christian genocide in the country, it confirmed its collaboration with U.S. forces to eliminate Mr al-Minuki.
Mr Trump had also redesignated Nigeria as a Country of Particular Concern last year, with a warning to sustain attacks on terrorists in Africa’s most populous country.
U.S. Africa Command (AFRICOM) on Saturday released a video of the airstrikes in which ISIS top commander Mr al-Minuki and other members of his group were killed.
“Last night’s operation targeted a significant presence of ISIS fighters in Northeastern Nigeria, eliminating multiple high value individuals including Abu-Bilal al-Minuki,” AFRICOM said, posting footage of the airstrike on X on Saturday.
We have recently deactivated our website's comment provider in favour of other channels of distribution and commentary. We encourage you to join the conversation on our stories via our Facebook, Twitter and other social media pages.
More from Peoples Gazette

Agriculture
FG tasks ECOWAS on leveraging financing strategies for agroecology
The federal government has urged stakeholders in the agriculture and finance sectors in the West Africa region to leverage financing strategies to enhance agroecology practices

Politics
Katsina youths pledge to deliver over 2 million votes to Atiku
“Katsina State is Atiku’s political base because it is his second home.”

Economy
Tinubu’s fuel subsidy removal enriched governors, made life unbearable for Nigerians: Donald Duke
Mr Duke accused the Tinubu administration of implementing economic policies that enriched government coffers rather than the people.

Politics
Tinubu appoints Gov Sanwo-Olu as 2027 campaign South-West coordinator
Mr Sanwo-Olu, who is also chairman of the South-West Governors’ Forum, will coordinate the party’s campaign activities across Lagos, Ogun, Oyo, Osun, Ondo and Ekiti states.

States
NDLEA raids six drug black spots in Jigawa, arrests eight suspects
Mr Wada said the command recovered 43.96 grams of assorted illicit drugs.

Abuja
Wike orders crackdown on car dealers operating in Abuja green areas
Mr Wike said defaulting vehicles would be impounded and auctioned, and their locations permanently shut down.

States
Police rescue 13 abducted passengers in Benue
Orchia Peter Aondongu, the Benue police command’s spokesman, said the victims were kidnapped the previous Friday while travelling from Enugu to Abuja.

Economy
Recapitalisation: Shareholders seek deadline extension for insurers
Mr Okezie said withdrawing licences from companies making genuine efforts could hurt shareholders and investors whose funds remained tied up in affected firms.






