Sunday, August 23, 2026

Alleged Cybercrime: Court adjourns Natasha Akpoti-Uduaghan‘s trial until 2026

The Federal High Court, Abuja Division, on Monday, adjourned the trial of Natasha Akpoti-Uduaghan for alleged cybercrime until February 4, 2026.

• November 24, 2025
Natasha and Akpabio
Natasha and Akpabio

The Federal High Court, Abuja Division, on Monday, adjourned the trial of Natasha Akpoti-Uduaghan for alleged cybercrime until February 4, 2026.

The matter, scheduled for today before Justice Mohammed Umar, could not proceed due to the judge’s absence.

The case, however, was fixed for commencement of trial on February 4, 2025.

The  matter, also, on October 21, did not hold due to the protest organised by activist and politician Omoyele Sowore to demand the release of IPOB leader Nnamdi Kanu, who was recently convicted of terrorism offences.

Justice Umar had, on September 22, fixed October 21 for the hearing after the trial was stalled owing to an objection raised by the defendant.

Ms Akpoti-Uduaghan was arraigned on June 30 on a six-count charge filed by the director of Public Prosecutions of the Federation, Mohammed Abubakar.

She was granted bail, after which Justice Umar adjourned the matter until September 22 for the commencement of the trial.

However, on the last adjourned date, when the prosecuting lawyer, David Kaswe, was about to open his case by calling the first witness, the defence lawyer raised an objection.

The development followed the mounting of a television screen in the courtroom, preparatory to the commencement of proceedings.

The defence lawyer, Ehiogie West-Idahosa, had expressed concern about the possibility of the prosecution opening its case.

Mr West-Idahosa told the court that a notice of preliminary objection to challenge the court’s jurisdiction to hear the case had already been filed.

He said the objection was not to the nature of the charge, but the alleged abuse of the prosecutorial powers of the attorney general of the federation. The lawyer also complained about not being served with copies of the statements of the prosecution witnesses.

Although Mr Kaswe argued that the objection filed by the defendant should not be allowed to stall the court’s business for the day, the judge insisted that the prosecution must first respond to the objection.

The judge said he intended to first determine the defence’s objection before taking any further steps in the case.

Ms Akpoti-Uduaghan, in the charge marked FHC/ABJ/CR/195/2025, is alleged to have transmitted false and injurious information via electronic means with the intention of maligning, inciting, and endangering lives, and of breaching public order.

The senator was alleged to have, while addressing a gathering on April 4 in Ihima, Kogi, accused Senate President Godswill Akpabio of instructing ex-Governor Yahaya Bello to assassinate her.

She was also alleged to have repeated similar claims in a TV interview.

The charge is brought under the Cybercrimes Prohibition, Prevention, etc (Amendment) Act 2024.

(NAN)

We have recently deactivated our website's comment provider in favour of other channels of distribution and commentary. We encourage you to join the conversation on our stories via our Facebook, Twitter and other social media pages.

More from Peoples Gazette

farmers

Agriculture

FG tasks ECOWAS on leveraging financing strategies for agroecology

The federal government has urged stakeholders in the agriculture and finance sectors in the West Africa region to leverage financing strategies to enhance agroecology practices

Katsina State

Politics

Katsina youths pledge to deliver over 2 million votes to Atiku

“Katsina State is Atiku’s political base because it is his second home.”

Firefighters in Nigeria

States

FFS saves N400 million property in Kano market fire

The controller urged the public to ensure that solar installations were carried out by qualified personnel.

States

Kogi police boss urges youths to reject political violence, digital thuggery

The commissioner described youths as critical partners in building a safer society.

Ngozi Olejeme and Betta Edu

NationWide

Ngozi Olejeme, Betta Edu: Tinubu’s campaign council rehab for fraud-tainted politicians, ADC says

The ADC argued that the 2027 election will be a referendum on Mr Tinubu’s record.

Abdulaziz Yari

NationWide

Matawalle hails Yari’s appointment as Tinubu campaign council DG

He expressed confidence in their ability to deliver Mr Tinubu and the APC in the forthcoming elections.

States

Troops kill one IPOB member in Anambra, recover explosive devices

Troops raided IPOB and ESN stronghold in Ogbaru Local Government Area of Anambra State and killed one of their members.

Beach ‌⁠‍‍⁠⁠‌‌‍⁠⁠‌‌⁠‍‌Volleyball: Nigeria beat Morocco, qualify for Los Angeles 2028 Olympics

Sport

Beach ‌⁠‍‍⁠⁠‌‌‍⁠⁠‌‌⁠‍‌Volleyball: Nigeria beat Morocco, qualify for Los Angeles 2028 Olympics

The Nigerian women’s beach volleyball team qualified for the Olympic Games event for the first time in history after defeating Morocco 2-0 in the 2026 CAVB final on Saturday.