Friday, August 21, 2026

Alleged drug trafficker Abba Kyari’s suit adjourned until March 28

The Abuja Division of the Federal High Court has fixed March 28 for ruling in a bail application filed by disgraced police chief Abba Kyari and others.

• March 14, 2022
Abba Kyari
Abba Kyari

The Abuja Division of the Federal High Court has fixed March 28 for ruling in a bail application filed by disgraced police chief Abba Kyari and others.

Justice Emeka Nwite fixed the date after counsel to the prosecution and defence argued their applications for and against the bail plea.

Mr Nwite had, last week, fixed March 14 for the hearing of the bail application after the defendants took their plea to the eight-count charge filed against them by the National Drug Law Enforcement Agency (NDLEA).

The allegations bordered on drug trafficking.

Mr Kyari and other police officers in the matter had pleaded not guilty to the counts preferred against them.

While Mr Kyari pleaded not guilty to counts one, two, three, four and eight levelled against him, the other four police officers, defendants in the trial, also pleaded not guilty to counts one, two, three and four filed against them.

But Chibunna Patrick Umeibe and Emeka Alphonsus Ezenwanne, sixth and seventh defendants, respectively, pleaded guilty to counts five, six and seven preferred against them.

(NAN)

We have recently deactivated our website's comment provider in favour of other channels of distribution and commentary. We encourage you to join the conversation on our stories via our Facebook, Twitter and other social media pages.

More from Peoples Gazette

farmers

Agriculture

FG tasks ECOWAS on leveraging financing strategies for agroecology

The federal government has urged stakeholders in the agriculture and finance sectors in the West Africa region to leverage financing strategies to enhance agroecology practices

Katsina State

Politics

Katsina youths pledge to deliver over 2 million votes to Atiku

“Katsina State is Atiku’s political base because it is his second home.”

NationWide

How El-Rufai started rumour about me being Mossad agent: Donald Duke

“It was Nasir El-Rufai who started the rumours about me being Mossad, and I confronted him about it,” Mr Duke said.

Tinubu sitting with Atiku

Economy

Atiku advertising economic ignorance by pushing to restore fuel subsidy in Nigeria: Tinubu

“One of my opponents now says he will go back to subsidy. I read it. That is a demonstration of serious ignorance of governance and economy,” Mr Tinubu stated.

Biodun Oyebanji

Politics

Oluyede visits Ekiti governor, pledges support for Tinubu’s re-election

Wole Oluyede, PDP governorship candidate in the June 20 election in Ekiti, has promised to work for the re-election of President Bola Tinubu in the 2027 presidential election.

IPDs

States

Humanitarian Crisis: Borno secures €61 million for peacebuilding

Borno has secured about €61 million in new funding from the United Nations and development partners to strengthen peacebuilding and recovery efforts.

Kano governor

Economy

Kano to push for fair share of federal appointments, recruitments: SSG

The Kano government has reiterated its determination to earnestly pursue and fully utilise whatever is legitimately due to the state under the Federal Character principle.

Body bags used to illustrate this story (Credit: X)

Politics

Mutfwang condemns attack on Plateau community

Governor Caleb Mutfwang has condemned the attack on Bin-mper community in Mangu council area, describing it as barbaric and unacceptable.