Alleged mastermind of $165 million crypto Ponzi scheme arrested after deportation from Fiji

An alleged mastermind of a $165 million Ponzi scheme in the United States, Edward Zimbardi, will on Monday appear before a federal magistrate judge in Los Angeles, California, in the United States, to face charges of wire fraud and money laundering.
The U.S. Attorney’s Office, Northern District of Georgia, disclosed this in a statement earlier in the day, following his arrest in Fiji, where he fled and his subsequent deportation to the U.S.
U.S. Attorney Theodore S. Hertzberg, in the statement, stated that the suspect, “allegedly tricked thousands of people to invest in his ‘Crypto Program’ with false promises of enormous returns. Instead, he spent the money on risky currency trades, payments to early investors and treating himself to a house and expensive vehicles.
“When his scam imploded, he allegedly tried to evade federal prosecution by fleeing to the other side of the world. Thanks to law enforcement and diplomatic authorities in Fiji and the United States, Zimbardi is back on American soil and will face trial.”
According to Mr Hertzberg, the charges and other information presented in court showed that between June 2022 and August 2023, the suspect allegedly created and promoted the platform.
The suspect, in his promotional videos and websites, allegedly told unsuspecting investors that the platform was an opportunity to invest in advertising packages with a guaranteed 25 per cent monthly return.
He encouraged them to pay for their advertising packages by moving cryptocurrency into wallets that he secretly controlled, into which thousands of investors sent over $165 million.
Rather than using the investments to buy advertising packages, he allegedly gambled over $34 million on risky foreign currency bets and lost substantial amounts of money.
In a bid to also keep the platform going, Mr Zimbardi allegedly used funds from later investors to pay earlier investors, before allegedly spending at least $10 million on personal expenses, including buying a house for his son, purchasing luxury vehicles and making alimony payments to his ex-wife.
The U.S. Attorney’s Office stated that when the platform imploded in August 2023 and victims lost their invested funds, “he travelled to Hawaii, Fiji, and other locations around the world,” adding that in July 2025, after being aware of the FBI’s investigation, “he fled to Fiji and lived there for over a year.”
The statement explained that, “In May 2026, Zimbardi canceled plans to attend his son’s wedding in Virginia after suspecting—correctly—that FBI agents would attempt to arrest him there. On August 14, 2026, after Fijian authorities learned of the charges against Zimbardi, they deported Zimbardi to the United States, in coordination with the FBI and U.S. Department of State.”
The 59-year-old from Flowery Branch, Georgia, was thereafter charged on July 8 in a federal indictment with twelve counts of wire fraud, twelve counts of money laundering and one count of money laundering conspiracy.
The government is expected to ask the court to detain him in the custody of the U.S. Marshals Service pending further proceedings in the Northern District of Georgia.
The special agent in charge of the Federal Bureau of Investigation in Atlanta, Marlo Graham, said, “Zimbardi allegedly preyed on trusting individuals through a complex scheme to separate people from their hard-earned money and then reportedly fled more than 7300 miles to the South Pacific.
“Scammers are trying everything they can to defraud people out of their hard-earned money, but the FBI is doing everything we can to make sure they don’t succeed, no matter where they hide,” he added.
Individuals who invested in the platform were therefore encouraged to provide victim information to the FBI at http://fbi.gov/thecryptoprogram, after which the FBI will contact the victims at a later date regarding further proceedings, including potential documentation needed for restitution.
We have recently deactivated our website's comment provider in favour of other channels of distribution and commentary. We encourage you to join the conversation on our stories via our Facebook, Twitter and other social media pages.
More from Peoples Gazette

Agriculture
FG tasks ECOWAS on leveraging financing strategies for agroecology
The federal government has urged stakeholders in the agriculture and finance sectors in the West Africa region to leverage financing strategies to enhance agroecology practices

Politics
Katsina youths pledge to deliver over 2 million votes to Atiku
“Katsina State is Atiku’s political base because it is his second home.”

World
Thousands keep vigil to mourn Jason Arday
Thousands of people gathered on Monday at a vigil in Trafalgar Square for Jason Arday, a 41-year-old Cambridge University professor who died amid allegations of plagiarism.

Africa
Ebola outbreak becomes deadliest in DR Congo’s history
WHO says Ebola Bundibugyo outbreak in the Democratic Republic of the Congo is now the deadliest the country has ever faced.

Economy
Abia tax reform targets efficiency, says commissioner
The Abia government says its tax reforms are designed to improve transparency, accountability and efficiency in revenue collection.

States
NDLEA vows to crush drug cartels in Nigeria
The chairman of the National Drug Law Enforcement Agency, Buba Marwa, has vowed to sustain the agency’s crackdown on drug cartels.

States
Zamfara Accord Party governorship candidate hails Adeleke
Zamfara Accord Party governorship flag bearer Musa Yusuf-Garba felicitated Governor Ademola Adeleke on his re-election in the August 15 Osun election.

States
NDC national leader Seriake Dickson appoints media, political, technical advisers
NDC leader Seriake Dickson has appointed Sani Takori, VinMartin Ilo and Steve Nwosu as political adviser, chief technical adviser and spokesman, respectively.






