Alleged Treason: Court threatens to strike out Sowore’s case

Justice Emeka Nwite of the Abuja Division of the Federal High Court on Wednesday threatened to strike out the case of
the presidential candidate of the African Action Congress (AAC), Omoyele Sowore if the prosecution fails to put its house in order.
The matter was slated for re-arraignment of the defendants but when the matter was called, only Mr Sowore was present in court.
The prosecuting counsel, Mariam Okorie, told the court that on the last adjourned date, the court had ordered that the hearing notice be served on the second defendant, Olawale Bakare.
Ms Okorie, however, said she was not aware if Mr Bakare had been served with the notice.
The registrar of the court, however, confirmed that Mr Bakare had not been served.
Mr Sowore’s counsel, Marshall Abubakar, told the court that he believed the prosecution was only trying to frustrate his client by its inability to serve the second defendant the hearing notice for him to appear in court.
Mr Abubakar told the court that he had written a letter to the attorney general of the federation asking that the charge be separated so that his client could take his plea and stand trial alone.
“My lord, this is the fifth year since this charge was filed, the defendant has been denied access to his family since then because he has not been allowed to travel outside the country where his family lives,” said Mr Abubakar.
He added, “You cannot continually and perpetually hold the man under suspicion that he committed a crime and so we will apply that this case be struck out until the prosecution is ready to prosecute it.”
The prosecuting counsel told the court that since they had written to the minister, they would have to wait for the minister’s response to know the next line of action.
Mr Nwite ruled that he would grant an adjournment on the condition that by the next adjourned date, the prosecution should comply with the order of court to serve the second defendant.
The judge warned that if the order of court to serve the second defendant was not complied with, the matter would be struck out.
“If you are not ready to go on with the matter, I am sounding this as the last warning that at the next adjourned date, I will strike out the matter even if heaven falls let it fall,” the judge said.
He adjourned the matter until December 5.
The federal government is suing Messrs Sowore and Bakare to court on allegations of treason and attempts to overthrow then-President Muhammadu Buhari.
(NAN)
We have recently deactivated our website's comment provider in favour of other channels of distribution and commentary. We encourage you to join the conversation on our stories via our Facebook, Twitter and other social media pages.
More from Peoples Gazette

Agriculture
FG tasks ECOWAS on leveraging financing strategies for agroecology
The federal government has urged stakeholders in the agriculture and finance sectors in the West Africa region to leverage financing strategies to enhance agroecology practices

Politics
Katsina youths pledge to deliver over 2 million votes to Atiku
“Katsina State is Atiku’s political base because it is his second home.”

Politics
ISIS would have taken over Nigeria if not for Tinubu, presidency spokesman says
“Were it not for the various interventions of Bola Ahmed Tinubu, Nigeria would have become a sorry state security-wise,” the presidential aide said.

Health
Yobe: Authorities issue alert as conjunctivitis reaches epidemic level in Potiskum
Conjunctivitis has reached epidemic proportions in Potiskum and surrounding communities, prompting health authorities to alert residents.

Politics
Delta: INEC fixes September 19 for Udu constituency by-election
The Independent National Electoral Commission has fixed September 19 for the by-election into the Udu Constituency of the Delta House of Assembly.

Economy
Nigeria implementing policies to reduce methane emissions from waste: FG
The federal government is implementing policies to reduce methane emissions from dumpsites and promote sustainable waste management practices across the country.

Economy
Subsidy removal made life difficult for Nigerians, Tinubu used money to fund governors’ opulent lifestyle: Atiku
“That is not reform. It is economic arson followed by propaganda about the ashes,” Phrank Shaibu said of President Bola Tinubu’s policies.

Politics
I won’t focus on religion, ethnicity in my 2027 presidential election campaign: Obi
“Daddy, I need you to speak to your people in the South-West and Kwara, the Christians in the South-West and Kwara,” Mr Obi said in 2023. “This is a religious war.”






