Amnesty International demands probe into Onitsha killings nine years after

Human rights organisation, Amnesty International, has demanded a transparent judicial investigation into the Onitsha massacre of May 30, 2016.
The organisation made this call on Saturday, recalling how the brutal killings occurred nine years ago.
It said, “The Nigerian authorities must open a transparent and effective investigation of the Onitsha massacre of May 30, 2016, when security forces violently cracked down on peaceful Remembrance Day almost nine years ago. Nine years is too long for victims and their families to keep waiting for justice.
“The largest number of pro-Biafra activists were killed on Biafra Remembrance Day on May 30, 2016, when an estimated 1,000 IPOB members and supporters gathered for a rally in Onitsha, Anambra State. The night before the rally, the security forces raided homes and a church where IPOB members were sleeping. On Remembrance Day itself, the security forces shot people in several locations.’’
According to Amnesty International, an estimated population of 60 persons or more were killed between May 30 and 31, while about 70 sustained injuries.
“Amnesty International has not been able to verify the exact number of extrajudicial executions but estimates that at least 60 people were killed and 70 injured in these two days: May 30-31, 2016. The real number is likely to be higher,” the statement reads.
Demanding justice, Amnesty International noted that due investigation must meet international standards.
We have recently deactivated our website's comment provider in favour of other channels of distribution and commentary. We encourage you to join the conversation on our stories via our Facebook, Twitter and other social media pages.
More from Peoples Gazette

Agriculture
FG tasks ECOWAS on leveraging financing strategies for agroecology
The federal government has urged stakeholders in the agriculture and finance sectors in the West Africa region to leverage financing strategies to enhance agroecology practices

Politics
Katsina youths pledge to deliver over 2 million votes to Atiku
“Katsina State is Atiku’s political base because it is his second home.”

Hot news Home top
‘This is probably my last year of football,’ says Ronaldo
“This is probably my last year of football, and I want to leave a spectacular legacy,” said Ronaldo.

Politics
Former military dictator IBB ‘father of Abia state’, says Otti
Governor Alex Otti congratulated former military dictator Ibrahim Babangida on his 85th birthday, describing him as the ‘Father of Abia state’.

Economy
Iran War: Trump threatens to bomb Oman over Strait of Hormuz
President Donald Trump threatened to bomb Oman in the Middle East if it “gets in the way” of its deal between the United States and Iran over the Strait of Hormuz.

World
Thousands keep vigil to mourn Jason Arday
Thousands of people gathered on Monday at a vigil in Trafalgar Square for Jason Arday, a 41-year-old Cambridge University professor who died amid allegations of plagiarism.

Africa
Ebola outbreak becomes deadliest in DR Congo’s history
WHO says Ebola Bundibugyo outbreak in the Democratic Republic of the Congo is now the deadliest the country has ever faced.

Economy
Abia tax reform targets efficiency, says commissioner
The Abia government says its tax reforms are designed to improve transparency, accountability and efficiency in revenue collection.






