Amnesty International warns against attack of #OccupyLekkiTollGate protesters

Amnesty International has advised the Nigerian authorities against attacking #OcuppyLekkiTollGate protesters when they converge on Saturday.
The international rights body’s caution comes following threats by information and culture minister Lai Mohammed that the protest won’t be allowed to hold based on some “intelligence report”.
The minister said Thursday that federal authorities would not allow a resurgence of the violence that marred the historic #EndSARS protests which rocked most parts of the country last year.
The police in Lagos also warned that no form of protests will be allowed to take place in the state on Saturday.
However, a statement by @AmnestyNigeria, the official Twitter page of Amnesty International in Nigeria asked the Buhari administration to demonstrate commitment to protect citizen’s right to protest peacefully.
“Amnesty international is calling on all Nigerian authorities to demonstrate commitment to protect the right to peaceful protest,” the statement by AI read. “Previous attempts by security agents to repress peaceful protests have led to human rights violations and abuses.”
The statement added “The Nigerian govt. must ensure that when protesters exercise their right to freedom of assembly, it must be without fear of harassment or attacks by hoodlums or others opposed to the protests. Security operatives must refrain from excessive use of force on protesters,” the statement said.
The Lekki toll plaza, a major revenue contributor to the Lagos government, has been shut since October 20 after the fatal shooting of many unarmed #EndSARS protesters by Nigerian soldiers.
A Lagos judicial panel investigating cases of brutality and the October 20 shooting incident by the army had recently voted to reopen the tollgate, to the chagrin of many Nigerians sympathetic to the #EndSARS movement.
Unhappy with reopening of the toll plaza, individuals and groups have begun mobilising for a protest on February 13.
We have recently deactivated our website's comment provider in favour of other channels of distribution and commentary. We encourage you to join the conversation on our stories via our Facebook, Twitter and other social media pages.
More from Peoples Gazette

Agriculture
FG tasks ECOWAS on leveraging financing strategies for agroecology
The federal government has urged stakeholders in the agriculture and finance sectors in the West Africa region to leverage financing strategies to enhance agroecology practices

Politics
Katsina youths pledge to deliver over 2 million votes to Atiku
“Katsina State is Atiku’s political base because it is his second home.”

States
14 kidnap victims rescued in Katsina
Troops rescued six males and eight females abducted in Katsina State.

States
Police arrest suspected transformer vandal in Enugu
Police said the suspect was found unconscious with various degrees of injuries.

World
U.S. govt indicts 17 Iranians over cyber theft
Prosecutors said the suspects allegedly stole more than 31 terabytes of data from institutions across the U.S.

States
Gov Alia nominates six new commissioners, seeks Benue assembly’s approval
The governor said the nominations were intended to strengthen the state executive council by filling existing vacancies and replacing outgoing members.

Heading 1
Nigeria should remain designated ‘country of particular concern’, Tinubu allowing slaughtering of Christians: U.S. Lawmaker
“Do not remove the CPC designation for Nigeria. They have not done near enough to protect Christians! They continue to get slaughtered,” Mr Moore said.

NationWide
Tinubu pledges peaceful campaign ahead of 2027 elections
“Let us remember that elections are not a do-or-die affair. We are partners in the project of nation-building,” he said.






