Amotekun expresses concern as convicted criminals return to crime in Ondo

The Ondo State Security Network Agency, otherwise known as Amotekun Corps, has expressed worry over frequent cases of convicted criminals returning to society to commit the same offences.
Adetunji Adeleye, commander of the corps, showed his dismay on Monday while parading one Matthew Philip, who was earlier jailed for robbery with 28 other suspects in the state.
Mr Adeleye said it was surprising when the long arm of the law again caught the 29-year-old ex-convict (Philip) at his hideout for the same offence which he was previously jailed.
“One issue of note is that in all of such instances, we always have a recycled criminal. In this case, there is a particular convict who left the correctional centre on January 1, and on January 4, 2024 (less than one week), he went into burglary crime again.
“The ex-convict claimed to be a drug dealer who also engaged in robbery activities,” he said.
Parading the other suspects at the Amotekun headquarters office in Akure, Mr Adeleye said they were arrested for various alleged offences ranging from kidnapping, armed robbery, unlawful possession of firearms, and theft, among others.
He noted that many of the suspects had been on the watch lists of the Corps for almost five months and were nabbed with locally made guns.
“In the last week, we were able to arrest 29 suspects that were involved in different forms of security breaches which range from kidnapping, armed robbery, housebreaking, shoplifting, stealing of motorcycles among others.”
“In the same way, those that were involved in illegal possession of firearms and have been on our watchlist in the last five months were arrested with guns, locally made pistols with which they perpetrate evil.
“Towards the yuletide season, we made it clear that there was not going to be any major bank robbery or robbery operation throughout,” he added.
While appreciating other sister security agencies, which included the Police, SSS, and Civil Defence, for their steadfastness during the festive period, the Amotekun Corps noted that arrested suspects were being profiled and would soon be charged in court.
According to him, there is no hiding place for criminals in the state as the people enter into the new year.
Mr Adeleye, however, debunked a rumour that armed bandits invaded some Ondo communities and overwhelmed operatives of the corps, saying it was a ruse targeted at causing chaos in the state.
“So, I want to say that it was a cheap blackmail orchestrated by enemies of progress of the state and it is aimed at discrediting the corps but we refused to be distracted.
“We will continue to serve our people and provide the quality security services that we are reputed for and it is what we all know that the 18 local government areas in Ondo state are safe from all these criminal activities.
“We refused to be distracted by the mischief makers who are determined to rubbish the integrity of the Amotekun,” he said.
We have recently deactivated our website's comment provider in favour of other channels of distribution and commentary. We encourage you to join the conversation on our stories via our Facebook, Twitter and other social media pages.
More from Peoples Gazette

Agriculture
FG tasks ECOWAS on leveraging financing strategies for agroecology
The federal government has urged stakeholders in the agriculture and finance sectors in the West Africa region to leverage financing strategies to enhance agroecology practices

Politics
Katsina youths pledge to deliver over 2 million votes to Atiku
“Katsina State is Atiku’s political base because it is his second home.”

Sport
Former Arsenal star Patrick Vieira appointed as Senegal’s new head coach
Vieira succeeds former manager Pape Thiaw.

States
Gombe govt approves N260 million for relocation of grain market
According to him, moving the grain market to Dukku Road is expected to reduce traffic congestion.

Rights
NAPTIP seeks media, government agencies’ collaboration to end SGBV in Nigeria
Ms Bello said SGBV remained one of the most common human rights violations in Nigeria.

Sport
FULL LIST : FIFA names Ngock, Chawinga, Bihina, Dafeaur among top 10 stars at 2026 WAFCON
Ngock was named Player of the Tournament following Cameroon’s historic victory against Malawi.

States
Ebonyi: PDP governorship candidate urges residents to embrace peace ahead of 2027 electionsÂ
The governorship candidate stressed that political differences should not be allowed to degenerate into violence.

Africa
Sudan, South Sudan revive security talks after defence minister’s visit
The minister said continued cooperation between Sudan and South Sudan was important to maintaining stability.






