Anambra reopens Onitsha Main Market

The Anambra State government has announced reopening of the Onitsha Main Market.
The directive came after it was closed as traders frequently complied with the Mondays sit-at-home declared by the Nnamdi Kanu-led Indigenous People of Biafra.
The state Commissioner for Information, Law Mefor, in a statement on Sunday, announced the reopening of the Onitsha Main Market after it was closed by the state governor, Chukwuma Soludo.
The state government also threatened civil servants that they would not receive their salary if they observe the lockdown by not showing up at work on Mondays.
Mr Mefor said, “This is to inform the general public that the closure of Onitsha Main Market, ordered by Mr. Governor, Prof Chukwuma Charles Soludo, CFR lapses this weekend.
“To that effect, all traders are hereby informed to resume business as usual on Monday, February 2, 2026, as there is no longer any form of sit-at-home on Mondays in Anambra State.
“Meanwhile, civil servants and teachers are reminded that pro rata salary system remains in force: no work on Monday, no pay. Also, parents must release their children for school on Mondays to avoid sanctions.”
The state government assured residents of adequate security and encouraged them to report any security concerns to 5111.
The development followed days of demonstrations in the state, over the market closure during which the governor threatened to revoke ownership of the shops or demolish them if traders’ continued closing them on Mondays.
We have recently deactivated our website's comment provider in favour of other channels of distribution and commentary. We encourage you to join the conversation on our stories via our Facebook, Twitter and other social media pages.
More from Peoples Gazette

Agriculture
FG tasks ECOWAS on leveraging financing strategies for agroecology
The federal government has urged stakeholders in the agriculture and finance sectors in the West Africa region to leverage financing strategies to enhance agroecology practices

Politics
Katsina youths pledge to deliver over 2 million votes to Atiku
“Katsina State is Atiku’s political base because it is his second home.”

World
World’s oldest person Ethel Caterham celebrates 117th birthday
Ms Caterham is the last known surviving person born during the reign of King Edward VII, who died in 1910.

States
24 ISWAP family members surrender to troops in Borno
The report stated, “Troops arrested one suspect in possession of a magazine loaded with 35 rounds of 7.62mm special ammunition.”

Lagos
Five die in Badagry road crash
Mr Oke-Osanyintolu said, ““The remains of the victims were carefully recovered, bagged with dignity, and handed over to officials of the Federal Road Safety Corps.”

Heading 1
Tinubu appoints Ngozi Olejeme, Betta Edu fingered in over N1 billion fraud as 2027 campaign council members
The EFCC told the People Gazette that investigations were still ongoing on Mr Edu’s case.

World
U.S. military fires publisher, top editor of Stars and Stripes reporting U.S. navy sailors’ travails
The newspaper’s publisher since 2007, Max Lederer, who had earlier this week announced his retirement in September, was also fired.

Heading 2
Atiku’s latest position on subsidy driven by political desperation, says ex-APC spokesman
Mr Oladejo noted that subsidy removal should not be reduced to a mere campaign slogan.






