Antigua and Barbuda prime minister orders arrest of Nigerian couple over N22 billion Imagine Global fraud

The Prime Minister of Antigua and Barbuda Gaston Browne has ordered the arrest of Bamise and Elizabeth Ajetunmobi, the couple who fled Nigeria after duping investors of over N22 billion.
“I have already put systems in place to ensure that if he is not here yet, they could capture him on his way here because Antigua and Barbuda is not going to be a refuge for scamps,” Mr Browne said.
Mr Browne, who made his comments while in Parliament on Wednesday, said that though it is unverified if the couple are currently in the country, they will be apprehended upon entry.
Peoples Gazette had reported that the Ajetunmobis had obtained citizenship of the Caribbean islands of Antigua and Barbuda.
The passports of the couple and their minor children surfaced online overnight, hours after reports emerged that they had fled Nigeria, leaving its customer base of 90,000 investors stranded.
Mr Browne said that he heard that the Ajetunmobis “obtained Antiguan and Barbudan passports, citizenship under the CIP programme and now that person is now wanted for defrauding a number of Nigerians.”
Mr Browne added that the Citizenship by Investment Programme, used by the Ajetunmobis, is not meant to attract shady characters and his government will ensure repatriation of wanted individuals hiding in the country.
The initial report from The Gazette noted that the couple planned their disappearance months in advance to avoid the suspicion of investors. Data entries on their passports showed that the husband and one of their minor children procured their passports on April 29, 2021, while Mrs Ajetunmobi procured hers on May 4, 2021.
The Ajetunmobis led a micro lending business called Imagine Global, offering 22 per cent interest on loans and 10 percent returns to investors. The news of the fraudulent scheme broke when multiple victims took to social media, revealing the amounts invested.
A WhatsApp group as well as a Nairaland forum had been created for those affected by the fraudulent scheme to pool resources towards recovering their investments.
The Gazette had attempted to reach the company at its address in Lagos, but it was closed and all telephone numbers for the couple failed to connect.
A spokesman for Zuriel Consulting Limited — Imagine Global’s legal adviser — said the law firm could not comment on investors’ funds and the disappearance of the couple, adding that it can neither deny nor confirm claims that the amount stolen was up to N22 billion.
We have recently deactivated our website's comment provider in favour of other channels of distribution and commentary. We encourage you to join the conversation on our stories via our Facebook, Twitter and other social media pages.
More from Peoples Gazette

Agriculture
FG tasks ECOWAS on leveraging financing strategies for agroecology
The federal government has urged stakeholders in the agriculture and finance sectors in the West Africa region to leverage financing strategies to enhance agroecology practices

Politics
Katsina youths pledge to deliver over 2 million votes to Atiku
“Katsina State is Atiku’s political base because it is his second home.”

Lagos
Lagos police nab six over viral video of miscreants harassing motorists
Ms Adebisi said the command was already aware of the activities of the miscreants.

Heading 3
NYSC DG urges corps members to remain politically neutral, obey scheme rules
According to him, adherence to the core values of the scheme remains non-negotiable.

States
ADC cautions Jigawa government against unregulated mining
He warned that inadequate mining regulations could provide opportunities for bandits.

States
Enugu receives $125,000 U.S. grant for preservation of Lejja Iron-Smelting site
Mr Hudspeth said the grant is aimed at transforming and providing digital documentation of the site.

States
Tinubu urges Adeleke to promote unity, reconciliation in Osun
The president urged Mr Adeleke to focus on governance and improving the welfare of Osun residents.

Abuja
Mahmoud calls on churches, mosques to promote peace ahead of 2027 elections
Ms Mahmoud urged citizens to continue supporting and praying for Mr Tinubu.






