APC asks NBC to sanction TV stations over broadcast of Tinubu’s alleged drug deal
![Bola Tinubu [Credit: BAT]](https://gazettengr.com/wp-content/uploads/Bola-Tinubu-thinking.png)
The All Progressives Congress has petitioned the National Broadcasting Commission (NBC) to sanction Arise News and Channels Television for broadcasting Bola Tinubu’s alleged drug deal.
Bayo Onanuga, the director, media and publicity of the APC presidential campaign council (PCC), announced this in a statement on Monday in Abuja.
He said the council was asking NBC to sanction the two tv stations over their alleged “fake” reports on Mr Tinubu.
The petition was signed by the Special Adviser, Media, Communications and Public Affairs of the PCC, Dele Alake, and addressed to NBC’s director-general, Balarabe Ilelah.
Mr Onanuga quoted Mr Alake as saying that the purported indictment against Mr Tinubu, as reported and discussed on the television stations, had already been cleared in a correspondence between the then IG, late Tafa Balogun and the U.S. government.
He added that the continued broadcast of a non-existing indictment violated the NBC broadcast code.
“The case in question, which did not indict our candidate, has since been overtaken by events after interrogation and correspondences between then I-G Tafa Balogun in 2003 and the U.S. government.
“The U.S. Justice Department in a letter dated February 4, 2003, issued by the Lagos Consulate of the U.S. Embassy, cleared our candidate.
“The letter was signed by Michael Bonner, the Consulate’s legal attache,” Mr Onanuga said.
He said the council was surprised that Arise News and Channels Television, among others, went ahead to transmit and broadcast issues purportedly indicting Mr Tinubu in violation of section 3, 3 I of the NBC code.
Mr Onanuga said the council believed that the stations’ operators, by their professional standing, should have access to research platforms to verify the information before dishing it to the public.
The PCC also accused both stations of using the already cleared document in their interviews of Festus Keyamo and the spokesman of the opposition Peoples Democratic Party (PDP), respectively.
Mr Onanuga said both stations broadcast a fake letter in circulation, purportedly issued by the Independent National Electoral Commission (INEC), stating that the electoral body was investigating the APC presidential candidate.
This, the PCC said, was also against the NBC code, which forbids broadcasting fake news.
He said Arise television had reportedly been known to carry fake reports against Mr Tinubu and had admitted guilt to this in a broadcast a few days ago.
Mr Onanuga added that the events vilified and denigrated Mr Tinubu as an indicted offender and lawbreaker in the U.S.
He further added that to seek justice for the APC presidential candidate, the PCC asked NBC to invoke the appropriate sanctions against the offending television stations.
“We hereby request the NBC to sanction the offending stations in the name of justice and in the protection of the rights of our candidate as well as avoidance of future re-occurrence,” he added.
(NAN)
We have recently deactivated our website's comment provider in favour of other channels of distribution and commentary. We encourage you to join the conversation on our stories via our Facebook, Twitter and other social media pages.
More from Peoples Gazette

Agriculture
FG tasks ECOWAS on leveraging financing strategies for agroecology
The federal government has urged stakeholders in the agriculture and finance sectors in the West Africa region to leverage financing strategies to enhance agroecology practices

Politics
Katsina youths pledge to deliver over 2 million votes to Atiku
“Katsina State is Atiku’s political base because it is his second home.”

Politics
‘I hereby endorse Tinubu for second term in 2027 presidential election,’ Gov Adeleke declares
“My support is just based on the fact that he is a Yoruba man and he’s from the South-West…I will go all out for President Tinubu in 2027,” said Governor Ademola Adeleke.

States
Gov Idris drops Abubakar-Tafida, picks ex-finance commissioner as running mate
Governor Nasir Idris has replaced his deputy, Umar Abubakar-Tafida, with ex-finance commissioner Ibrahim Muhammad-Augie as his running mate for the 2027 governorship election.

Opinion
Osun election shows all is not fair in Nigerian politics
The Osun governorship election has now provided an important measure of where Nigeria stands.

States
14 kidnap victims rescued in Kogi, Plateau operations: Army
The troops had launched a search-and-rescue operation after the victims were kidnapped on Tuesday.

States
19-year-old girl under pressure to start having children allegedly steals newborn baby
According to the police, the suspect was under pressure to have a child, as some of her peers had already given birth.

Politics
Makinde congratulates Adeleke, urges INEC to conduct credible 2027 elections
The off-cycle election is a litmus test for the 2027 general election, according to Mr Makinde, who urged the commission not to let Nigerians down in 2027.






