Monday, August 17, 2026

Atiku, Sowore to lead #FreeNnamdiKanu protest to Aso Rock

Mr Sowore announced the planned protest on Wednesday, stating that he had set aside political differences to unite with figures across party lines.

• October 9, 2025
A composite of Atiku, Kanu and IPOB used to illustrate the story.
A composite of Atiku, Kanu and IPOB used to illustrate the story.

Prominent political figures, including former Vice-President Atiku Abubakar, are set to lead a mass protest to the Aso Rock Presidential Villa on October 20, demanding the immediate release of detained separatist IPOB headpin Nnamdi Kanu.

Among backers of the protest are activist Omoyele Sowore and former Senate minority leader Enyinnaya Abaribe.

Mr Sowore announced the planned protest on Wednesday, stating that he had set aside political differences to unite with figures across party lines, especially those from the South-East, in a campaign tagged #FreeNnamdiKanuNow.

He called on former Labour Party presidential candidate Peter Obi, Governor Alex Otti, Governor Charles Soludo, and other Igbo politicians to join the protest, describing Mr Kanu’s continued incarceration as “a gross injustice and a violation of Nigeria’s rule of law”.

On Thursday, Mr Atiku confirmed his participation in the protest.

“The continued detention of Mazi Nnamdi Kanu remains an open sore on our nation’s conscience and a stain on our belief in the rule of law. Defying court orders that granted him bail is an abuse of power and an assault on justice,” Mr Abubakar said in a post on X. “I, therefore, lend my voice in full support of the campaign led by @YeleSowore for his immediate release or due prosecution. We fail as patriots if we allow Kanu’s case to fester as yet another wound this nation refuses to heal.”

Mr Sowore disclosed on Wednesday night that Mr Abaribe, who had previously stood surety for the embattled IPOB leader, had agreed to join the protest. Abia lawmakers, he added, expressed support for the cause but said they preferred a “non-placard” approach.

The protest, tagged #FreeNnamdiKanuNow, is scheduled to begin at 7:00 a.m. on October 20 in Abuja.

Mr Kanu has been in detention since June 2021, following his abduction from Kenya to Nigeria.

Despite multiple court rulings, including an October 2022 decision by the Court of Appeal ordering his release, the Nigerian government has refused to comply, citing “national security concerns”.

The IPOB head is facing terrorism-related charges at the Abuja Division of the Federal High Court, though proceedings have stalled repeatedly amid concerns over jurisdiction and due process.

We have recently deactivated our website's comment provider in favour of other channels of distribution and commentary. We encourage you to join the conversation on our stories via our Facebook, Twitter and other social media pages.

More from Peoples Gazette

farmers

Agriculture

FG tasks ECOWAS on leveraging financing strategies for agroecology

The federal government has urged stakeholders in the agriculture and finance sectors in the West Africa region to leverage financing strategies to enhance agroecology practices

Katsina State

Politics

Katsina youths pledge to deliver over 2 million votes to Atiku

“Katsina State is Atiku’s political base because it is his second home.”

Showbiz

Kamsy emerges third housemate evicted from BBNaija Season 11

Her departure came as a fresh reminder that popularity inside the house does not necessarily translate into enough public votes.

Sport

Cameroon beat Malawi 3-0 to win first WAFCON title

Cameroon thus became the fourth nation to win the WAFCON, joining record champions Nigeria, Equatorial Guinea and South Africa.

Alake at Nigeria Gold Day Celebration event

NationWide

Alake warns illegal operators against mining abandoned pits

The minister said the tragedy could have been averted if the illegal miners formed a cooperative and applied for the necessary permit.

States

Police arrest Kogi man for setting wife on fire

The state Commissioner of Police, Naziru Kankarofi, condemned the attack, describing it as “barbaric and unacceptable.”

Showbiz

Spider-Man: Brand New Day’ rakes $2 billion at global box office

Marvel and Sony’s “Spider-Man: Brand New Day” has grossed $2 billion at the global box office after only three weeks in theatres