Atiku’s latest position on subsidy driven by political desperation, says ex-APC spokesman
A former spokesperson for the All Progressives Congress in Lagos, Seye Oladejo, has accused the African Democratic Congress of desperation following his plan to return fuel subsidy if elected president in 2027.
“One cannot also resist asking whether this latest policy somersault is driven, at least in part, by political desperation,” Mr Oladejo stated in a statement on Saturday.
He added, “Atiku has indicated that the 2027 presidential election would be his final attempt at the presidency. If that is indeed the case, is the sudden embrace of subsidy restoration a carefully considered economic policy-or an electoral strategy born of the urgency to make one last bid for the highest office in the land?”
Mr Atiku, in an interview with journalists on Wednesday, said that though he did not oppose subsidy removal, the money saved from the policy was stolen and not reinvested to improve citizens’ lives.
“I didn’t oppose the removal of subsidy.
But where is the money? The money gotten should have been used to tackle poverty, out-of-school children and other things,
“Where is the money? They stole it. I will return fuel subsidy. The big thing was that they removed the subsidy, but where is the money? Even if I removed subsidy, I would still work,” the former vice-president said.
Mr Oladejo, who accused Mr Abubakar of inconsistency, noted that subsidy removal should not be reduced to a mere campaign slogan.
He added, “After several presidential attempts, perhaps the temptation to tell Nigerians what they desperately want to hear becomes irresistible. But the presidency of Nigeria is too consequential to be reduced to a last-chance political project.
“A policy as fundamental as fuel subsidy cannot be switched on and off like a campaign slogan simply because an election is approaching. Nigerians deserve to know whether Atiku’s new position represents a genuine reconsideration of economic policy or merely another political calculation ahead of what he has described as his final presidential contest.”
Acknowledging Mr Abubakar’s position on accountability in terms of subsidy proceeds management, the APC chieftain said accountability should not be confused with economic nostalgia.
“And if the problem is accountability for the resources released by the reform, then let us have that conversation. Where did the money go? What was saved? How was it allocated? What projects were funded? What benefits accrued to Nigerians?
“These are legitimate questions. But accountability should not be confused with economic nostalgia,” he added.
Mr Oladejo urged opposition to debate issues, adding that “2027 should be about a contest of ideas, credibility, competence and demonstrable capacity.”
We have recently deactivated our website's comment provider in favour of other channels of distribution and commentary. We encourage you to join the conversation on our stories via our Facebook, Twitter and other social media pages.
More from Peoples Gazette
Agriculture
FG tasks ECOWAS on leveraging financing strategies for agroecology
The federal government has urged stakeholders in the agriculture and finance sectors in the West Africa region to leverage financing strategies to enhance agroecology practices
Politics
Katsina youths pledge to deliver over 2 million votes to Atiku
“Katsina State is Atiku’s political base because it is his second home.”
World
U.S. military fires publisher, top editor of Stars and Stripes reporting U.S. navy sailors’ travails
The newspaper’s publisher since 2007, Max Lederer, who had earlier this week announced his retirement in September, was also fired.
Heading 2
Atiku’s latest position on subsidy driven by political desperation, says ex-APC spokesman
Mr Oladejo noted that subsidy removal should not be reduced to a mere campaign slogan.
Heading 4
Turkey issues request to law enforcement agencies worldwide to arrest Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu
The minister of justice said the Israeli leaders were being tried in absentia.
NationWide
EPL: GOtv, DStv subscribers decry activation delay
One of the subscribers, Abuja Streets (@abujastreets) wrote on X on Friday that the EPL resumed but subscribers were stranded.
World
Carney vows retaliation as Trump govt slams fresh 50% tariffs on Canadian goods
Mr Trump set a deadline for negotiations, but negotiators said they had yet to reach an agreement.
States
Terrorists storm Niger mosque during prayers, abduct worshippers
The police said security operatives had been deployed to the area for assessment and rescue operations.






