Sunday, January 16, 2022

Bandits dare Nigerian military, return to Zamfara to massacre 218 civilians

More than 300 armed bandits on motorbikes stormed eight villages in Anka LGA around 12:45 p.m. on Tuesday and started shooting.

• January 8, 2022
Matawalle and Bandits
Zamfara Governor, Bello Matawalle and Bandits used to illustrate the story

Despite efforts by the military to contain bandits’ threats in Zamfara forests, locals in villages such as Kurfa Danya, Kurfa Magaji Rafin Gero, Tungar Isa and Barayar Zaki in Bukkuyum and Anka Local Government Areas are still being massacred by the bandits.

Though earlier reports placed the death toll at least 60 people, witnesses told Peoples Gazette at least 218 people had been killed as at last night.

These witnesses and multiple reports have said that burials have begun in the state. 

Daily Trust had also reported on Friday that five communities of Kurfa Danya, Kurfa Magaji Rafin Gero, Tungar Isa and Barayar Zaki in Bukkuyum and Anka LGAs were under attack.

Witnesses said the attack on Anka LGA happened around 12:45 p.m. on Tuesday, when more than 300 armed bandits on motorbikes stormed eight villages and started shooting.

At the time of filing this report, police spokesperson Muhammed Shehu could not be reached for comment. 

The attacks had been confirmed by the state governor Bello Matawalle during a visit to the 82 regular intake from the Nigerian Army in the state.

On Saturday morning, Mr Matawalle visited wounded troops in the hospital to boost morale amongst them and ensure continued support to the fight against banditry. 

Zamfara is among states worst hit by kidnappings and had been under a telecoms blockade since early September, which authorities said they imposed to disrupt coordination among the bandits and help the armed forces tackle them.

The NCC had on September 4, suspended telecommunication networks in the state to block information flow between bandits, kidnappers and their collaborators.

The communications body however lifted the suspension and restored the network in Gusau, the state capital on October 4, while 13 local government areas remained without network.

In November, Mr Matawalle finally lifted the ban on mobile telecommunication networks in the state. 

More from Peoples Gazette

Simon Lalong

States

Lalong to empower residents by turning Plateau lands to capital: Commissioner

The commissioner said the state was pushing for residents to acquire titles for their lands so as to prevent abuse.

Super Eagles

Sport

AFCON: Super Eagles celebrate Sudan victory, promise more wins ahead

The Super Eagles will take on Guinea Bissau next in their final group game on Wednesday.

States

Banditry: Katsina reopens cattle markets, fuel stations

The cattle markets were earlier closed as part of measures to tackle cattle rustling and banditry in the state.

NEF Chair Ango Abdullahi, Muhammadu Buhari and NEF Spokesperson Hakeem Baba-Ahmed

Politics

2023: NEF clamours for northern president, says he must be better than Buhari

“If you must be a Northerner who’s better than all the candidates; for us, that’s the bottom line.”

Mo Salah

Sport

AFCON: Salah scores as Egypt pip Guinea-Bissau

With Saturday’s win, Egypt now has 3 points in two games, ranking second behind Nigeria’s 6 points in two games.

Governor Rotimi Akeredolu

States

Akeredolu disburses N7.5 million loan to 52 widows of slain soldiers

The governor says the loan would ensure that the widows of the fallen heroes do not rely on the society for survival.