Boko Haram raid Niger village for hours; kill eight, abduct 160 persons

Boko Haram militias have killed eight and kidnapped 160 persons during a raid that lasted for several hours on Kuchi, a town in the Munya Local Government area of Niger state.
BBC Hausa reported that “The attackers killed eight people and abducted a hundred and sixty people, after breaking into shops and stealing food and necessities,” quoting
Aminu Na-jume, the chairman of Munya Local Government.
“When they came there, they cooked Indomie for more than two hours at the tea shops, they drank tea, they lit the fire, and they felt warm because it was raining,” Mr Na-jume said.
He added, “After that, they broke into people’s shops and took cold things like bottled oranges, food, biscuits and rice.”
When asked about the attack on Sunday, Niger state police spokesperson, Wasiu Abiodun, told Peoples Gazette to wait for the police to get its “fact and details” about the attack.
“Let me get my facts and details,” Mr Abiodun said. 160 might be an exaggeration, but let me get my facts and details. In due course, I’ll revert to you.”
The attack on Kuchi town comes barely a week after bandits dressed in military abducted about 20 people in the Dawaki community in the Federal Capital Territory.
Similarly, last week Monday, bandits raided and killed at least 40 persons at Zurak, a village in the Wase Local Government area of Plateau State.
President Bola Tinubu’s government, which will mark its one year in office in a few days, has come under public criticism amid these waves of attacks.
Opposition leader Atiku Abubakar of the Peoples Democratic Party condemned the attacks in a statement, saying they exposed the propaganda and lies of the Tinubu-led government.
Also lamenting rising insecurity in the country, Peter Obi of the Labour Party urged the Tinubu-led government to wake up to its responsibilities of protecting the lives and properties of Nigerians following the Plateau attack that left many dead.
We have recently deactivated our website's comment provider in favour of other channels of distribution and commentary. We encourage you to join the conversation on our stories via our Facebook, Twitter and other social media pages.
More from Peoples Gazette

Agriculture
FG tasks ECOWAS on leveraging financing strategies for agroecology
The federal government has urged stakeholders in the agriculture and finance sectors in the West Africa region to leverage financing strategies to enhance agroecology practices

Politics
Katsina youths pledge to deliver over 2 million votes to Atiku
“Katsina State is Atiku’s political base because it is his second home.”

Heading 5
Arsenal beat Coventry City 3-0 in Premier League opener
Kai Havertz found the back of the net in the first 15 minutes of the game.

Africa
DR Congo’s Ebola death toll hits 2,500
He projected that the existing funds will be exhausted in weeks.

States
Troops rescue 43-year-old kidnap victim in Kaduna, kill terrorist in Sokoto
The spokesperson said that troops engaged the terrorists and forced them to withdraw in disarray.

Sport
Usain Bolt registers to play for Manchester Sunday league team
The 40-year-old Manchester United fan registered as a player for Wythenshawe Vets FC.

Education
WAEC announces release of 2026 WASSCE digital certificates
The examination body asked candidates to log on to waec.org to access their certificates.

Heading 5
Prince Harry, Elton John, five others ordered to make initial payment of £9.5 million to Daily Mail publisher
The judge said the plaintiffs had not built an airtight case.






