Monday, August 17, 2026

Boko Haram: Under Buhari, criminals only paraded not prosecuted: Ndume

“When the BDC operators are arrested now, what will the government do with them? The Presidency is already saying their case is confidential. What is confidential about it?”

• April 26, 2021

Chairman of the Senate Committee on Army, Ali Ndume, has accused President Muhammadu Buhari’s regime of only parading suspected criminals but do not prosecute them.

On Sunday, the senator told reporters that Mr Buhari’s regime had a history of parading criminals without prosecuting them.

He said, “Nowadays, criminals are arrested and paraded without further action. Nobody knows what happens to the people who killed 11 soldiers in Benue state recently. What happened to those who beheaded policemen in Cross River?”

Mr Ndume asked the president to reveal the identity of bureau de change operators arrested for funding Boko Haram terrorists.

He also demanded that the trial of the suspects should be public, insisting the government must punish the guilty.

Mr Ndume’s demands came weeks after the Presidency said it had uncovered sponsors of Boko Haram, including bureau de change operators.

“The Presidency said, recently, that Nigerians would be shocked if it revealed the identities of those who are sponsoring the Boko Haram insurgents. Can you imagine that 400 bureau de change operators are the people funding Boko Haram?” the APC senator asked.

Last week, Mr Buhari and the ruling APC threw their weight behind Isa Pantami, communications minister, despite damning evidence that he supported terrorist organisations like the Taliban, Al-Qaeda and Boko Haram.

He added, “When the BDC operators are arrested now, what will the government do with them? The Presidency is already saying their case is confidential. What is confidential about it?”

Mr Ndume himself was linked to Boko Haram in 2011.

Explaining his ordeal, he stated, “When I was wrongly accused, I was tried publicly, and I was vindicated. The trial lasted six years in an open court. If there is any criminal act linked to anybody, no matter how highly placed, let the evidence be placed before the public. There should be no secret trial.”

Peoples Gazette in November reported that a Nigerian government official was indicted for channelling stolen public funds to finance terrorism.

Six other Nigerians in the UAE were convicted of funding Boko Haram in 2019. The conviction was upheld after an appeal.

We have recently deactivated our website's comment provider in favour of other channels of distribution and commentary. We encourage you to join the conversation on our stories via our Facebook, Twitter and other social media pages.

More from Peoples Gazette

farmers

Agriculture

FG tasks ECOWAS on leveraging financing strategies for agroecology

The federal government has urged stakeholders in the agriculture and finance sectors in the West Africa region to leverage financing strategies to enhance agroecology practices

Katsina State

Politics

Katsina youths pledge to deliver over 2 million votes to Atiku

“Katsina State is Atiku’s political base because it is his second home.”

Showbiz

Kamsy emerges third housemate evicted from BBNaija Season 11

Her departure came as a fresh reminder that popularity inside the house does not necessarily translate into enough public votes.

Sport

Cameroon beat Malawi 3-0 to win first WAFCON title

Cameroon thus became the fourth nation to win the WAFCON, joining record champions Nigeria, Equatorial Guinea and South Africa.

Alake at Nigeria Gold Day Celebration event

NationWide

Alake warns illegal operators against mining abandoned pits

The minister said the tragedy could have been averted if the illegal miners formed a cooperative and applied for the necessary permit.

States

Police arrest Kogi man for setting wife on fire

The state Commissioner of Police, Naziru Kankarofi, condemned the attack, describing it as “barbaric and unacceptable.”

Showbiz

Spider-Man: Brand New Day’ rakes $2 billion at global box office

Marvel and Sony’s “Spider-Man: Brand New Day” has grossed $2 billion at the global box office after only three weeks in theatres