Buhari asks UAE to suspend visa ban on Nigerians

President Muhammadu Buhari has asked the government of the United Arab Emirates (UAE) to lift its blanket visa ban on Nigerians.
In October 2022, the UAE authorities slammed a blanket visa ban on Nigerian travelers, excluding those with diplomatic passports.
Mr Buhari made the appeal during a phone chat with Sheikh Mohamed bin Zayad Al Nahyan, president of the United Arab Emirates.
This was contained in a press statement issued by the Senior Special Assistant on Media and Publicity, Garba Shehu, on Tuesday.
Mr Buhari recalled that mutually beneficial relations have subsisted between the two nations over many years.
This relationship is symbolised by robust economic interactions and regular consultations on matters of common interest, even at the highest political levels.
He assured the UAE leader that the issue of the Emirates funds was receiving appropriate attention alongside those of other foreign airlines operating in Nigeria.
He added that the Central Bank had been directed to increase foreign exchange allocation to the airline.
Mr Buhari said the recent irritants in bilateral relations generated by consular issues relating to the behaviour of some Nigerians in the UAE were being ironed out.
He explained that no country, including Nigeria, will condone criminalities and illegal behaviours.
The president asked that the issue be handled by relevant security and intelligence agencies of both countries and to come up with lasting solutions to the problems associated with criminalities and illegalities.
He, however, expressed the readiness of Nigeria to appropriate sanctions through the judicial process against any Nigerian who commits crime in the UAE.
Mr Buhari also requested a resumption of the suspended operations of Emirates Airline in the country.
Last year, the Emirates Airline suspended its operations in Nigeria in the wake of its inability to repatriate funds trapped within the country.
We have recently deactivated our website's comment provider in favour of other channels of distribution and commentary. We encourage you to join the conversation on our stories via our Facebook, Twitter and other social media pages.
More from Peoples Gazette

Agriculture
FG tasks ECOWAS on leveraging financing strategies for agroecology
The federal government has urged stakeholders in the agriculture and finance sectors in the West Africa region to leverage financing strategies to enhance agroecology practices

Politics
Katsina youths pledge to deliver over 2 million votes to Atiku
“Katsina State is Atiku’s political base because it is his second home.”

Abuja
Completion of abandoned projects hallmark of my three-year tenure: Wike
Mr Wike said his team had remained committed to its mandate despite initial challenges.

NationWide
Stakeholders fault remittance of unclaimed dividends to DMO
The shareholders said unclaimed dividends remained the property of investors.

States
Union seeks amicable resolution to Oyebanji, Oluyin chair dispute
IDFU is the socio-cultural umbrella body representing all Iyin-Ekiti sons and daughters.

NationWide
2027: Muslim clerics urge Nigerians to vote for Tinubu
Mr Darma described the endorsement as the resolution of the meeting.

States
FFS saves N400 million property in Kano market fire
The controller urged the public to ensure that solar installations were carried out by qualified personnel.

States
Kogi police boss urges youths to reject political violence, digital thuggery
The commissioner described youths as critical partners in building a safer society.






