Buhari cancels event appearance over terrorist threats in Abuja, summons security chiefs

Muhammadu Buhari on Sunday cancelled his scheduled appearance to commission a new project in Abuja after threats of terrorist attacks enveloped the Nigerian capital.
Spokesman Garba Shehu said Mr Buharil will, instead of attending the commissioning of the National Agency for Science and Engineering Infrastructure (NASENI) new Technology and Innovation Complex, receive national security chiefs at the State House.
Mr Buhari and his officials would “further review and strengthen security network in the country,” Mr Shehu said, adding that the Nigerian leader would also “interject” in some areas that required urgent national security attention.
The development comes days after foreign missions in Nigeria, including the United States, United Kingdom, Canada and European Union, issued statements warning of possible terrorist attacks in Abuja.
The threats forced the missions to issue statements to their nationals in Nigeria to immediately evacuate using their own resources. Staff members and their families at the U.S. Embassy in Abuja were evacuated throughout the week.
Mr Buhari and his information minister Lai Mohammed previously dismissed the threats as “unconfirmed” and slammed the foreign missions as creating unnecessary panic with their alerts, which forced businesses and schools to shut down across the nation’s capital.
The State House statement did not immediately say whether or not the administration now has received credible intelligence of a possible attack, but an official told Peoples Gazette the abrupt cancellation of a scheduled appearance by the president was due to the threats. The official, who sought anonymity to discuss internal issues without approval, did not elaborate.
We have recently deactivated our website's comment provider in favour of other channels of distribution and commentary. We encourage you to join the conversation on our stories via our Facebook, Twitter and other social media pages.
More from Peoples Gazette

Agriculture
FG tasks ECOWAS on leveraging financing strategies for agroecology
The federal government has urged stakeholders in the agriculture and finance sectors in the West Africa region to leverage financing strategies to enhance agroecology practices

Politics
Katsina youths pledge to deliver over 2 million votes to Atiku
“Katsina State is Atiku’s political base because it is his second home.”

Politics
Davido opposes Adeleke’s support for Tinubu, says ‘evil’ APC killed people over Osun governorship election
“Y’all kept it bloody n lost! Pple died! F**k yall!!,” Davido lashed at APC and its supporters.

Politics
‘I hereby endorse Tinubu for second term in 2027 presidential election,’ Gov Adeleke declares
“My support is just based on the fact that he is a Yoruba man and he’s from the South-West…I will go all out for President Tinubu in 2027,” said Governor Ademola Adeleke.

States
Gov Idris drops Abubakar-Tafida, picks ex-finance commissioner as running mate
Governor Nasir Idris has replaced his deputy, Umar Abubakar-Tafida, with ex-finance commissioner Ibrahim Muhammad-Augie as his running mate for the 2027 governorship election.

Opinion
Osun election shows all is not fair in Nigerian politics
The Osun governorship election has now provided an important measure of where Nigeria stands.

States
14 kidnap victims rescued in Kogi, Plateau operations: Army
The troops had launched a search-and-rescue operation after the victims were kidnapped on Tuesday.

States
19-year-old girl under pressure to start having children allegedly steals newborn baby
According to the police, the suspect was under pressure to have a child, as some of her peers had already given birth.






