Tuesday, August 18, 2026

Buhari regime sabotaging war on terror: Borno Elders

Mr Buhari has not hidden his admiration and support for Isa Pantami, the communications minister with avowed links to terrorist organisations like the Taliban, Al-Qaeda, and Boko Haram.

• April 27, 2021

Borno Elders Forum has claimed that President Muhamadu Buhari’s regime officials are obstructing the country’s counter-terrorism fight.

Khalifa Dikwa, dean of the forum, made the allegation on Channels TV on Monday.

He suggested that officials of Mr Buhari’s regime sabotaging the country’s efforts to acquire new technologies to boost the country’s terrorism fight.

Mr Dikwa, who played down the issue of understaffing in security agencies, stated, “The deficiency in staffing, the number of our military, police being overwhelmed; No, they can still do it if the technology is there.”

Speaking further, he said, “Why is it that there are people within the system who are sabotaging the technology? For our military, we should have technologies like night visuals, helicopters that can see at night, and so on. They are not being given.

“They are sabotaging our army, our military, our police, our DSS, and so on. It is those in government or close to the government.”

His allegation followed series of attacks on communities, schools, security bases, and security officials across the country.

As insecurity in the northern region worsens, criminal elements including Boko Haram, ISWAP terrorists, and bandits have continued to take advantage of Mr Buhari’s lethargic disposition to the crisis. Mr Buhari has not hidden his admiration and support for Isa Pantami, the communications minister with avowed links to terrorist organisations like the Taliban, Al-Qaeda, and Boko Haram.

A month after the abduction of Federal College of Forestry Mechanisation students, bandits last week invaded Greenfield University, another Kaduna school abducting more than 20 students.

On Monday, Peoples Gazette reported how Boko Haram terrorists breached a crucial military base in Borno, killing a commander and at least thirty soldiers.

Information shared to journalists by military sources said the insurgents disguised as friendly troops to enter the fortified headquarters of the powerful 156 Task Force Battalion in Mainok.

Military sources said the timing of the attack raised suspicions that internal military activities, especially communication signals, might have been leaked to the insurgents.

Also, in the South-East, attacks on police facilities had become a worrisome reoccurring event raising questions on the capacity of the security agency to protect lives and properties adequately.

We have recently deactivated our website's comment provider in favour of other channels of distribution and commentary. We encourage you to join the conversation on our stories via our Facebook, Twitter and other social media pages.

More from Peoples Gazette

farmers

Agriculture

FG tasks ECOWAS on leveraging financing strategies for agroecology

The federal government has urged stakeholders in the agriculture and finance sectors in the West Africa region to leverage financing strategies to enhance agroecology practices

Katsina State

Politics

Katsina youths pledge to deliver over 2 million votes to Atiku

“Katsina State is Atiku’s political base because it is his second home.”

University of Lagos

Education

UNILAG extends deadline for UTME candidates to upload results after portal glitch

The deadline, initially set for Wednesday, has been moved to August 24, 2026.

State Marco Rubio, Tomoko Akane

Heading 5

Trump govt sanctions ICC president Tomoko Akane, senior lawyer

The U.S. government imposed sanctions on ICC president Tomoko Akane over what it described as the tribunal’s “corrupt and fatally politicised” activities.

Imran Khan

Heading 2

Pakistan Supreme Court orders jailed ex-PM Imran Khan moved to hospital

The court also ruled that the former prime minister would be allowed to meet with his family weekly, including telephone calls with his sons.

Image used to illustrate the story

States

Lagos APC targets three million votes for Tinubu in 2027

Mr Ojelabi said the party’s performance in the 2023 presidential election was disappointing, and urged members to use the 2027 election to redeem its image.

Remi Tinubu

States

Remi Tinubu inaugurates national community food bank for South-West

She said the programme is a deliberate, sustainable response to food insecurity and malnutrition among vulnerable households nationwide.

Bola Tinubu in a jolly mood with Wike.

States

I would have delivered Osun to Tinubu even if people voted against APC: Wike

Mr Wike insisted the outcome of the election would have been different if he had been on the federal government team that went to Osun State.