Thursday, August 20, 2026

Buhari regime would have completely destroyed Nigeria by 2023: Northern Elders’ Forum

Hakeem Baba-Ahmed, the spokesman for the Northern Elders Forum, says President Muhammadu Buhari’s regime would have completely “wrecked” Nigeria by 2023.

and • July 27, 2021

The Northern Elders Forum says President Muhammadu Buhari’s regime would have completely “wrecked” Nigeria by 2023.

The highly regarded northern socio-political group stated this on Monday through his spokesman Hakeem Baba-Ahmed, who spoke on Channels TV on Monday.

Mr Baba-Ahmed attributed the country’s current situation to leadership failure.

“What are you going to do with 2023 because between now and 2023, APC would have completely wrecked this country?” he stated.

The regime has been criticised for the continued deterioration of nationwide insecurity, worsened unemployment rate, corruption, nepotism, and flagrant disregard for human rights.

Mr Baba-Ahmed wondered how the political class that will take over power in 2023 aims to fix the country that has been “completely destroyed” by the ruling APC.

“You are going to take over a country that has been completely destroyed by a party that has been substantially produced by the PDP,” he pointed out. “How are you going to fix this country? What’s your blueprint for what happens to Nigeria in 2023?”

Earlier this year, Mr Baba-Ahmed, in a statement issued on behalf of the forum, said that the current administration lacked the capacity to protect Nigerians against violent attacks.

“It has become painfully obvious that the Federal Government is unable to muster the will or the capacity to limit exposure of Nigerians to violent criminals,” he had said.

A recent report released by the Economist Intelligence Unit (EIU) of London also suggested that Mr Buhari’s incompetence in combating the country’s challenges will give the opposition party a winning edge over APC.

“Frustration with high prices, declining living standards, and perpetual instability will be directed at the ruling party, the All Progressives Congress, giving the PDP a winning edge,” EIU said in its July 21 analysis that examined prevailing conditions in Nigeria.

The Economist stated that even as the president remains in office until 2023, “the security situation in many parts of Nigeria is in a state of continuous deterioration.”

It predicted that despite pressures mounted on the president, “myriad security threats will prove unmanageable, with the military and police overstretched and unable to tackle simultaneous security crises.”

Several economic and human development indices, including from the World Bank, confirmed that Nigeria under Mr Buhari has been witnessing acute joblessness and poverty at a level never before seen.

We have recently deactivated our website's comment provider in favour of other channels of distribution and commentary. We encourage you to join the conversation on our stories via our Facebook, Twitter and other social media pages.

More from Peoples Gazette

farmers

Agriculture

FG tasks ECOWAS on leveraging financing strategies for agroecology

The federal government has urged stakeholders in the agriculture and finance sectors in the West Africa region to leverage financing strategies to enhance agroecology practices

Katsina State

Politics

Katsina youths pledge to deliver over 2 million votes to Atiku

“Katsina State is Atiku’s political base because it is his second home.”

Uncategorized

Why Nigeria is becoming an interesting market for international online casinos

Nigeria has an established betting culture, giving gaming businesses a starting point as they assess how consumers discover, compare and use platforms.

UNICEF

Port Harcourt

UNICEF seeks ethical reporting of children

The speakers stressed that the media could either compound children’s burdens or help protect them. 

Ebonyi State CP Urunwa Okafor

States

Ebonyi LG Poll: Police announce movement restriction

Ms Okafor warned that anyone found engaging in acts capable of causing a breakdown of law and order would face the full weight of the law.

Scene at the Ataoja's palace.

Heading 1

Suspected cultists denied access to Davido at Ataoja’s palace shot 60-year-old man dead: Police 

Police said the incident occurred around Ita-Olokan area of Osogbo at about 4 p.m., shortly after the governor visited the monarch alongside Davido. 

Peter Mbah

Heading 2

Gov. Mbah appoints 23 new SAs, SSAs

Mr Onyia said the appointments take immediate effect.

Music console

Hot news Home top

Nigeria, Kenya lose $286 million music revenue annually to copyright gaps: U.S.

She urged policymakers to ratify and fully implement the WIPO Copyright Treaty.