Burkina Faso suspends France 24 operations after Al-Qaida interview

On Monday, the military administration of Burkina Faso suspended France 24 broadcast operations in the country after the TV channel aired an interview with Yezid Mebarek, the leader of al-North Qaida’s African branch.
Earlier this month, France 24, a French-funded TV channel, aired an interview with Mr Mebarek, popularly known as Abu Ubaydah Yusuf al-Anabi, after a French troop operation that killed his predecessor.
According to a statement by Burkina Faso’s minister of communication, Jean-Emmanuel Ouedraogo, the France 24 operations were shut down for providing a platform for the legitimisation of terrorist actions and hate speech in its country.
“France 24 is not only acting as a mouthpiece for these terrorists, but worse, it is providing a space for the legitimisation of terrorist actions and hate speech,” Mr Ouedraogo said in the statement published on Voice of America (VOA).
In response to the action, France 24 described the move as based on “unfounded accusations.”
“The channel never gave him the floor directly,” France 24 said in a statement. It added that it chose to report what the interviewee said through a studio conversation with one of its journalists.
According to reports, since the military seized control in a coup last October, relations between the French government and the Burkina Faso military government in West Africa have been worse.
In January, the Burkina Faso military government terminated a military agreement that had authorised French troops to battle militants in its territory – giving the French military a one-month notice to withdraw its troops from its soil.
In December, Radio France International, a radio station similarly funded by the French government, had its transmissions banned in Burkina Faso due to what the military government deemed to be false reporting and providing a voice to Islamist extremists.
We have recently deactivated our website's comment provider in favour of other channels of distribution and commentary. We encourage you to join the conversation on our stories via our Facebook, Twitter and other social media pages.
More from Peoples Gazette

Agriculture
FG tasks ECOWAS on leveraging financing strategies for agroecology
The federal government has urged stakeholders in the agriculture and finance sectors in the West Africa region to leverage financing strategies to enhance agroecology practices

Politics
Katsina youths pledge to deliver over 2 million votes to Atiku
“Katsina State is Atiku’s political base because it is his second home.”

Heading 2
FBI announces recruitment exercise in U.S, other countriesÂ
Mr Rothrock said America needs help to sustain its national peace from home and around the world.

States
Troops foil mass abduction in ZamfaraÂ
The spokesman for the operation said the incident occurred on Sunday.

Heading 5
Obi demands compensation for victims of electoral violence, killings in Osun
The NDC chieftain stressed the need for a democracy where elections are conducted without violence.Â

Abuja
Nigeria’s capital city Abuja flooded, vehicles submerged as FCT residents accuse Wike of encroaching on green areas
According to Mr Olayinka, the FCT administration is working to improve the drainage system.Â

Heading 4
NFF sacks Super Falcons coach, technical team After WAFCON, World Cup qualification failures
Mr Madugu led the team to their 10th WAFCON title in July 2025.Â

Sport
Coventry City confirm signing of Taiwo Awoniyi from Nottingham ForestÂ
In 2022, Awoniyi signed with Nottingham Forest in a record fee worth €17.2 million.Â






