Wednesday, August 19, 2026

Carter Bridge reconstruction begins Monday

The contractor said preliminary work had been ongoing, and at the minister’s instruction, his team would assess the site on Monday.

• June 18, 2026
Carter bridge (Photo Credit: Punch newspapers)
Cater bridge (Photo Credit: Punch newspapers)

Physical work on the new Carter Bridge in Lagos will start on Monday.

Dang Yinan, project manager of China Civil Engineering Construction Corporation Nigeria Limited, gave the assurance on Thursday in Lagos during the Minister of Works, Dave Umahi’s inspection of the bridge.

The contractor said that preliminary work had been ongoing, and at the minister’s instruction, his team would access the site on Monday.

“We will follow your excellency’s direction and our mobilisation plan and make a report. Next week, Monday, we will start assessing the site. We will try our best,” he said.

Earlier, the director of Advanced Engineering Consultant, Olatinwo Tomilola, gave the assurance that optimisation of the bridge alignment had been completed.

“The first design had major stakeholder issues, particularly on the Lagos Island side, but we have been able to optimise the design and adjust the right-of-way and the alignment of the bridge to minimise the negative impact on the existing settlement,” he said.

 He said that the new design had taken care of the challenges.

He said that the set-run span of the bridge was about 105 metres on either side, providing better navigation under the bridge.

“What currently exists is about 35 metres on either side, but the bridge that will be constructed will be 105 on either side; that provides for better navigation.”

He noted that the bridge was a major route for badges moving from the ports in Apapa to the bonded terminal in Ikorodu.

“We have created a better navigation space, not just in terms of horizontal space, but even in terms of the vertical clearance.

 “The existing bridge is about six metres from the water level. The new bridge will be 12 metres high. It takes care of both today’s demands and future demands.

 The Controller of Works in Lagos, Olufemi Dare, noted that construction of the new Carter Bridge was flagged off some weeks ago.

He said that preliminary works had been ongoing, and the right-of-way marking, stakeholders’ meeting and so many other works were also ongoing.

(NAN)

We have recently deactivated our website's comment provider in favour of other channels of distribution and commentary. We encourage you to join the conversation on our stories via our Facebook, Twitter and other social media pages.

More from Peoples Gazette

farmers

Agriculture

FG tasks ECOWAS on leveraging financing strategies for agroecology

The federal government has urged stakeholders in the agriculture and finance sectors in the West Africa region to leverage financing strategies to enhance agroecology practices

Katsina State

Politics

Katsina youths pledge to deliver over 2 million votes to Atiku

“Katsina State is Atiku’s political base because it is his second home.”

Nick Kyrgios.

World

Australian Tennis star Nick Kyrgios suspended after testing positive for cocaine

Mr Kyrgios said, “I’d ask that people respect my privacy during that time, and most importantly the privacy of my family. I’m sorry. I’ll do the work and come back better.”

Pregnant women and UK emblem

Hot news Home top

Beware of fertility treatment, surrogacy, ‘miracle baby’ scams in Nigeria, UK warns citizens 

“If you’re considering fertility treatment in Nigeria, exercise caution,” it said.

Adeleke and his deputy with the certificate.

Uncategorized

Osun: INEC presents certificate of return to Gov. Adeleke, deputy

The governor called on those who contested the election against him to join him in moving the state forward.

Jason Ardy (Credit: FACEBOOK)

Heading 4

Family expresses ‘heartfelt thanks’ as GoFundMe for Cambridge’s youngest Black professor’s funeral hits over £200,000

The family stated, “We have been touched by the messages of love, condolences and acts of kindness during what is a deeply painful time for our family.”

Chidimma Adetshina

Diaspora

South African court adjourns ruling in ex-Miss Universe Nigeria Chidimma Adetshina deportation case until 2027

“We should not allow zenophobia and misinformation to determine how people are going to be treated. We should always be guided by the spirit of Ubuntu,” Miss Adetshina stated.