Wednesday, August 17, 2022

Chelsea withdrew offer on Kounde before Barcelona moved in: Ramon Verdejo

The centre-back, who has been a standout performer since joining Sevilla in 2019, will reportedly cost up to $56 million.

• July 29, 2022
Jules Kounde

Chelsea withdrew their offer to sign Jules Kounde, allowing Barcelona to pounce, according to Sevilla’s director of football, Ramón Verdejo.

Barcelona had confirmed on Thursday that they had struck a deal to sign France international Kounde from their LaLiga rivals.

The centre-back, who has been a standout performer since joining Sevilla in 2019, will reportedly cost up to 55 million euros (56 million dollars).

Yet only last week, the 23-year-old looked set to join English Premier League (EPL) club Chelsea, who agreed a fee with Sevilla.

Verdejo, popularly known as “Monchi”, though, has claimed the Blues opted out of the arrangement after having “doubts”.

“On July 21, Kounde was ‘sold’ to Chelsea,” he told Sevilla’s club media. “They began to have doubts and pulled out. Then FC Barcelona appeared. The first time [sporting director Mateu] Alemany got in contact was on Monday.

“We received an offer that was lower than what we had in mind, but we renegotiated with them and reached an agreement for a club-record sale.”

Verdejo added that Chelsea subsequently returned with another bid, but that did not match up to FC Barcelona’s offer.

Kounde was previously linked with Manchester City in 2020, while Chelsea had an approach rebuffed last year, and Monchi explained that Sevilla believed it was the right time to let the player leave.

“This would have been the third time we’d have told him ‘no’,” the former goalkeeper said. “He’s a professional, but you have to consider the person as well.”

Sevilla now head into the 2022/2023 campaign having sold their regular starting centre-backs in Kounde and Diego Carlos, who has left for Aston Villa.

Julen Lopetegui’s team looked capable of mounting a title challenge in LaLiga last season, but ultimately fell away and finished fourth as Real Madrid cruised to glory.

(dpa/NAN)

We have recently deactivated our website's comment provider in favour of other channels of distribution and commentary. We encourage you to join the conversation on our stories via our Facebook, Twitter and other social media pages.

More from Peoples Gazette

Rear Admiral Yaminu Musa

NationWide

Buhari appoints Yanimu Musa head of National Counter Terrorism Centre

Before his appointment, Mr Musa had been the Director of the Counter Terrorism Directorate in the ONSA since 2017.

Emmanuel Osodeke

Education

ASUU strike continues as Buhari regime fails to accede lecturers’ demands 

A top ASUU operative said the three-hour meeting ended without any commitment to resolving the issue by either parties.

INEC Photo (Credit: Punch Newspapers)

Politics

INEC redeploys two RECs, eight senior officials

The redeployed RECs according to Mr Okoye were Dr Cyril Omorogbe from Cross River to Akwa-Ibom; and Dr Alalibo Sinikiem from Edo to Rivers.

Muhammad Bello

Abuja

Abuja safest, most peaceful city in Nigeria: Minister

Mr Mohammed added that efforts being made by the FCTA to curb insecurity in Abuja were numerous.

Minister for Humanitarian Affairs, Disaster Management and Social Development, Hajiya Sadiya Umar Farouq.

States

We spend N24 billion annually on poverty alleviation schemes in Sokoto: Minister

“It is consistent with President Buhari’s deliberate National agenda of lifting 100 million Nigerians out of poverty in 10 years.”

Dollar and Naira

Economy

Naira loses value against dollar, exchanges at N430.67 at I&E window

The figure represented a decrease of 0.16 per cent compared with the N430 it exchanged for the dollar on Monday.