China, India begin fresh negotiations over border crisis
China and India on Wednesday started the 14th round of corps commander-level negotiations to resolve the 20-month border conflict in the Ladakh region.
Regional media reported that the previous round of talks took place in October 2021 and did not bring any results.
The Indian defence ministry said Chinese negotiators rejected its call for restoring peace in the area of the de facto border, referred to as the Line of Actual Control (LAC).
Asian News International reported that the 14th negotiation took place at the Chushul-Moldo meeting point on the LAC’s Chinese side.
Shortly before the negotiation, Chinese Foreign Ministry spokesman Wang Wenbin said that the situation at the border was generally stable, and the parties were maintaining dialogue through diplomatic and military channels.
The lack of a marked border between India and China has long been a source of tensions between the countries. Tensions escalated in May 2020 as clashes between border forces led to multiple fatalities.
To settle the conflict, the two nations launched disengagement consultations in June 2020, with the first phase of disengagement on the northern and southern banks of Pangong Lake completed last February.
The situation once again escalated in September 2021, prompting both countries to resume troop deployment near the LAC. Since then, China has repeatedly accused India of provocations, which it dismissed as groundless.
We have recently deactivated our website's comment provider in favour of other channels of distribution and commentary. We encourage you to join the conversation on our stories via our Facebook, Twitter and other social media pages.
More from Peoples Gazette
“Katsina State is Atiku’s political base because it is his second home.”
The players were absent from the team that demolished Sao Tome and Principe in last month’s 2023 AFCON qualifier in Uyo.
She solicited the support of the traditional rulers to enable the present administration to actualise its dream of transforming the state into an enviable new Niger state.
“We look forward to a successful deliberation of the labour unions today and a definite call off of the planned nationwide strike,” he said.
Mr Dan-Azumi is to take over from Wasiu Olanrewaju-Smart, who is taking another appointment.