Wednesday, August 17, 2022

China tells U.S. to stop stealing Syria oil

Mr Wang said some Syrians had described the presence of the United States in Syria as a form of terrorism.

• July 20, 2022
Wang Wenbin
Wang Wenbin

The United States should immediately stop plundering Syria’s national resources, a Chinese Foreign Ministry spokesperson said on Wednesday.

Wang Wenbin made the remarks at a press conference when asked to comment on reports that U.S. occupation forces recently transferred oil stolen from Syria to the north of Iraq, with Syrian officials condemning the United States and its allies for acting just like pirates.

Mr Wang said that 90 per cent of the Syrian population were  currently living below the poverty line and two thirds of the population relied on humanitarian assistance.

The spokesperson added that more than half of the population suffered from food insecurity.

“The U.S. military still occupies the main grain- and oil-producing areas in Syria, looting and plundering Syrian national resources, worsening the local humanitarian crisis.’’

Mr Wang said some Syrians had described the presence of the United States in Syria as a form of terrorism.

He said the United States had always boasted about its so-called highest standards on human rights and the rule of law, but the U.S. actions in Syria proved that it actually failed in these aspects.

He urged the United States to respect Syria’s sovereignty and territorial integrity, respond to the calls of the Syrian people and immediately lift unilateral sanctions against Syria.

“U.S. should immediately stop plundering Syria’s national resources, and make up for the harm caused to the Syrian people with concrete actions,’’ Mr Wang said.

We have recently deactivated our website's comment provider in favour of other channels of distribution and commentary. We encourage you to join the conversation on our stories via our Facebook, Twitter and other social media pages.

More from Peoples Gazette

Rear Admiral Yaminu Musa

NationWide

Buhari appoints Yanimu Musa head of National Counter Terrorism Centre

Before his appointment, Mr Musa had been the Director of the Counter Terrorism Directorate in the ONSA since 2017.

Emmanuel Osodeke

Education

ASUU strike continues as Buhari regime fails to accede lecturers’ demands 

A top ASUU operative said the three-hour meeting ended without any commitment to resolving the issue by either parties.

INEC Photo (Credit: Punch Newspapers)

Politics

INEC redeploys two RECs, eight senior officials

The redeployed RECs according to Mr Okoye were Dr Cyril Omorogbe from Cross River to Akwa-Ibom; and Dr Alalibo Sinikiem from Edo to Rivers.

Muhammad Bello

Abuja

Abuja safest, most peaceful city in Nigeria: Minister

Mr Mohammed added that efforts being made by the FCTA to curb insecurity in Abuja were numerous.

Minister for Humanitarian Affairs, Disaster Management and Social Development, Hajiya Sadiya Umar Farouq.

States

We spend N24 billion annually on poverty alleviation schemes in Sokoto: Minister

“It is consistent with President Buhari’s deliberate National agenda of lifting 100 million Nigerians out of poverty in 10 years.”

Dollar and Naira

Economy

Naira loses value against dollar, exchanges at N430.67 at I&E window

The figure represented a decrease of 0.16 per cent compared with the N430 it exchanged for the dollar on Monday.