China’s former agriculture minister sentenced to death for corruption

China’s former agriculture minister Tang Renjian has been handed a death sentence with a two-year reprieve on allegations of corruption and bribery.
The People’s Court of Changchun in northeast Jilin Province stated, according to Xinhua News Agency, on Sunday.
Mr Renjian was accused of collecting property and cash bribes totalling over $38 million between 2007 and 2024.
The court said that Mr Renjian had “caused severe losses to the interest of the state and its people, therefore warranted a death penalty”.
It added that the former minister himself had confessed to the crime, returned illicit gains, and expressed remorse for his actions, mitigating a more severe verdict such as an immediate execution.
The former Gansu governor’s death sentence would be suspended for two years as a result of a reprieve, based on a criminal punishment code found in chapter 5 (death penalty), sections 48, 50, and 51 of the criminal law of China.
A reprieve would give the 63-year-old politician a chance to either serve life imprisonment or a fixed term based on meritorious behaviour during the period of his suspended sentence.
His sentencing is the latest among other cases of high-profile individuals who have been handed capital punishments by President Xi Jinping’s anti-graft campaign for similar offences.
We have recently deactivated our website's comment provider in favour of other channels of distribution and commentary. We encourage you to join the conversation on our stories via our Facebook, Twitter and other social media pages.
More from Peoples Gazette

Agriculture
FG tasks ECOWAS on leveraging financing strategies for agroecology
The federal government has urged stakeholders in the agriculture and finance sectors in the West Africa region to leverage financing strategies to enhance agroecology practices

Politics
Katsina youths pledge to deliver over 2 million votes to Atiku
“Katsina State is Atiku’s political base because it is his second home.”

Lagos
Five die in Badagry road crash
Mr Oke-Osanyintolu said, ““The remains of the victims were carefully recovered, bagged with dignity, and handed over to officials of the Federal Road Safety Corps.”

Heading 1
Tinubu appoints Ngozi Olejeme, Betta Edu fingered in over N1billion fraud as 2027 campaign council members
The EFCC told the People Gazette that investigations were still ongoing on Mr Edu’s case.

World
U.S. military fires publisher, top editor of Stars and Stripes reporting U.S. navy sailors’ travails
The newspaper’s publisher since 2007, Max Lederer, who had earlier this week announced his retirement in September, was also fired.

Heading 2
Atiku’s latest position on subsidy driven by political desperation, says ex-APC spokesman
Mr Oladejo noted that subsidy removal should not be reduced to a mere campaign slogan.

Heading 4
Turkey issues request to law enforcement agencies worldwide to arrest Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu
The minister of justice said the Israeli leaders were being tried in absentia.

NationWide
EPL: GOtv, DStv subscribers decry activation delay
One of the subscribers, Abuja Streets (@abujastreets) wrote on X on Friday that the EPL resumed but subscribers were stranded.






