Wednesday, August 19, 2026

Chinese Expatriates: Soldier, four hostages killed by kidnappers at Mowe dredging site

“Four of the hostages were later killed by the fleeing gunmen before they escaped through a river channel using a boat,” the army said.

• June 9, 2026
Armed soldiers firing shots
Armed soldiers [Credit: Radio Nigeria Ibadan]

The Nigerian Army has confirmed the death of a soldier and four hostages during a kidnap operation by gunmen targeting Chinese expatriates at Magbon in the Mowe area of Ogun.

Idereghi Akari, spokesman for the 35 Artillery Brigade, disclosed this in a statement on Tuesday. According to Mr Akari, the attack occurred on Monday in Magbon, in the Mowe area of Obafemi-Owode council, during a joint security operation.

He explained that the security team responded to a distress call from a dredging site where expatriates were working. According to him, the joint team was ambushed by gunmen, leading to a  gunfight.

“One of the suspected kidnappers was neutralised during the exchange, while others retreated through nearby forest routes toward the Ogun River. 

“The attackers reportedly took five hostages as human shields while escaping from pursuing security operatives deployed as reinforcement. Four of the hostages were later killed by the fleeing gunmen before they escaped through a river channel using a boat. 

“A surviving hostage reportedly informed security personnel that the attackers also took away the body of their dead accomplice,” the police said.

Mr Akari stated that the operation recorded casualties among security operatives, with one soldier killed during the encounter. He said that another soldier and two police officers sustained gunshot wounds.

He added that the remains of the slain soldier and recovered hostages had been deposited at the mortuary in Sagamu.

The army spokesperson noted that security agencies had intensified patrols and surveillance across the area to prevent further security breaches and restore public confidence.

He reiterated the army’s commitment to safeguarding lives and property through sustained collaboration with other security agencies in the state. 

(NAN)

We have recently deactivated our website's comment provider in favour of other channels of distribution and commentary. We encourage you to join the conversation on our stories via our Facebook, Twitter and other social media pages.

More from Peoples Gazette

farmers

Agriculture

FG tasks ECOWAS on leveraging financing strategies for agroecology

The federal government has urged stakeholders in the agriculture and finance sectors in the West Africa region to leverage financing strategies to enhance agroecology practices

Katsina State

Politics

Katsina youths pledge to deliver over 2 million votes to Atiku

“Katsina State is Atiku’s political base because it is his second home.”

Humberto Bettencourt

Sport

Cape Verde appoint Humberto Bettencourt as new head coach

Bettencourt’s new role comes after six years working alongside Bubista.

Governor Dikko Radda

States

Gombe govt approves N260 million for relocation of grain market

According to him, moving the grain market to Dukku Road is expected to reduce traffic congestion.

NAPTIP

Rights

NAPTIP seeks media, government agencies’ collaboration to end SGBV in Nigeria

Ms Bello said SGBV remained one of the most common human rights violations in Nigeria.

Ngock, Chawinga, Bihina, Dafeaur among top 10 stars at 2026 WAFCON

Sport

FULL LIST : FIFA names Ngock, Chawinga, Bihina, Dafeaur among top 10 stars at 2026 WAFCON

Ngock was named Player of the Tournament following Cameroon’s historic victory against Malawi.

Ifeanyi-Chukwuma Odii

States

Ebonyi: PDP governorship candidate urges residents to embrace peace ahead of 2027 elections 

The governorship candidate stressed that political differences should not be allowed to degenerate into violence.