Thursday, August 20, 2026

Completing abandoned vice-president’s residence with N21 billion part of my achievements: Tinubu

Mr Tinubu’s government completed the project started by his predecessor, former President Muhammadu Buhari, with N14 billion.

• June 8, 2024
PRESIDENT BOLA TINUBU
PRESIDENT BOLA TINUBU [Credit: Wikipedia]

President Bola Tinubu says completing the vice-president’s resistance with N21 billion amid economic hardship in the country is a fulfillment of one of his promises to Nigerians – one of his achievements since he assumed office.

Mr Tinubu, represented by Vice President Kashim Shettima at the commissioning of the multi-billion naira edifice on Friday, said the project shows his dedication to accountability, transparency and good utilisation of resources to better the country.

“As we commission this state-of-the-art edifice as the official residence of the Vice President, we are fulfilling a longstanding commitment and reaffirming our unwavering dedication to accountability, transparency and efficient utilisation of resources for the betterment of our nation,” Mr Tinubu said. 

The president added, “I hold a very strong opinion that abandoning projects after substantial expenditure have been incurred is inherently wasteful, and it is in the best interest of the Government and the public to see them through to completion.”

Mr Tinubu’s government completed the project started by his predecessor, former President Muhammadu Buhari, with N14 billion.

The president, who assumed office last year, has come under public criticism on social media for lavishing billions on building an edifice for his deputy amid economic hardship.

The inauguration of the residence comes as the Nigerian Labour Congress and its affiliate unions are demanding a minimum wage increment due to spiking food prices and inflation induced by Mr Tinubu’s policies, fuel subsidy removal and floating of the naira.

An X user, OMatarazi, said, “The Tinubu government spending so much money on the vice-president’s house while many Nigerians are struggling shows he’s not thinking about others. It’s like he doesn’t understand how hard life is for regular people. It’s not right to spend so much when others are suffering. A heart blinded by wealth often overlooks the struggles of the needy.”

 “Wicked leaders! At a time Nigerians are experiencing extreme hardship. They have refused to prune down their expenses and are even claiming they cannot pay 60k minimum wage,” another X @Mizposhey tweeted.

Also, @Hope_TheThird tweeted, “To put this in context, with a minimum wage of ‘over N60,000’, this money will pay the salaries of 29000 workers for one year.”

We have recently deactivated our website's comment provider in favour of other channels of distribution and commentary. We encourage you to join the conversation on our stories via our Facebook, Twitter and other social media pages.

More from Peoples Gazette

farmers

Agriculture

FG tasks ECOWAS on leveraging financing strategies for agroecology

The federal government has urged stakeholders in the agriculture and finance sectors in the West Africa region to leverage financing strategies to enhance agroecology practices

Katsina State

Politics

Katsina youths pledge to deliver over 2 million votes to Atiku

“Katsina State is Atiku’s political base because it is his second home.”

Uncategorized

Why Nigeria is becoming an interesting market for international online casinos

Nigeria has an established betting culture, giving gaming businesses a starting point as they assess how consumers discover, compare and use platforms.

UNICEF

Port Harcourt

UNICEF seeks ethical reporting of children

The speakers stressed that the media could either compound children’s burdens or help protect them. 

Ebonyi State CP Urunwa Okafor

States

Ebonyi LG Poll: Police announce movement restriction

Ms Okafor warned that anyone found engaging in acts capable of causing a breakdown of law and order would face the full weight of the law.

Scene at the Ataoja's palace.

Heading 1

Suspected cultists denied access to Davido at Ataoja’s palace shot 60-year-old man dead: Police 

Police said the incident occurred around Ita-Olokan area of Osogbo at about 4 p.m., shortly after the governor visited the monarch alongside Davido. 

Peter Mbah

Heading 2

Gov. Mbah appoints 23 new SAs, SSAs

Mr Onyia said the appointments take immediate effect.

Music console

Hot news Home top

Nigeria, Kenya lose $286 million music revenue annually to copyright gaps: U.S.

She urged policymakers to ratify and fully implement the WIPO Copyright Treaty.Â