Court remands self-crowned Olujare of Ijare in Ondo, Adekolajo Aladeseyi

The Akure Division of the Magistrates Court in Ondo State on Thursday remanded a self-proclaimed monarch, Adekolajo Aladeseyi, parading himself as Olujare of Ijare.
This came after Mr Aladeseyi, accused of illegally crowning himself as the Olujare of Ijare in the Ifedore Local Council Area of the state, was arrested by the police and subsequently charged to court.
The state Commissioner of Police, Wilfred Afolabi, disclosed that the self-confessed monarch was apprehended on the orders of the state government.
Mr Afolabi noted that the inauguration carried out by Mr Aladeseyi did not receive legal recognition from either the local or state government.
He said, “This action was necessary to maintain peace and prevent a potential breakdown of law and order in the community.’’
Alongside two chiefs, the self-styled monarch was accused of carrying out the unauthorised installation despite opposition from key figures in the town responsible for the selection of the town’s monarch.
But on Thursday, Mr Aladeseyi, 67, was dragged before the magistrates’ court by the Ondo State Police Command for allegedly instigating a crisis in the ancient town.
He was arraigned before the court alongside Fasore Lawrence, 63, and Adegbenro Akanle, 43, with a three-count charge.
The trio also were accused of conduct likely to cause breach of peace and deliberately flouting the chieftaincy law of the state.
One of the charges read, “That you, Adekolajo Aladeseyi, Fasore Lawrence and Adegbenro Akanle and others at large on April 15, 2025 at about 1:00 am at Ijare town within the Jurisdiction of the Honourable Court did conspire together to commit misdemeanour to wit conduct likely to cause breach of public peace and thereby committed an offense contrary to and punishable under Section 517 (A) of the Criminal Code Cap 37 Vol. 1 Laws of Ondo State, Nigeria, 2006.”
The suspects, however, pleaded not guilty to the charge preferred against them.
Babatunde Ajiboye, The Police Prosecutor, Babatubde Ajiboye, who informed the court that he had seven witnesses, noted that he had evidence to back his claim.
But the lead counsel to the suspects, Adelanke Akinrata, prayed the court to grant bail to them in liberal terms.
Mr Akinrata who said the application was premised on Section 36 sub 5 of the 1999 constitution, as amended, noted that the defendants were presumed to be innocent until proven guilty according to Section 146 sub 1 of Administration of Criminal Justice Law (ACJL).
He noted that the essence of bail was to ensure their presence, and he guaranteed that the accused will be available to stand trial before the court.
Assuring the court of the availability of the suspects during trial, he added that the defendants would not tamper with the investigation.
Ruling, the Chief Magistrate Jaiyeola Solomon Ogungade ordered the remand of the suspects in custody and consequently adjourned the ruling on the bail application to May 12.
Recall that the Olujare stool, which is a prestigious first-class traditional title, became vacant four years ago following the demise of Oba Adebamigbe Oluwagbemigun, Kokotiri II.
Since then, the community has awaited the selection of a new ruler, but the process has been marred by disputes.
We have recently deactivated our website's comment provider in favour of other channels of distribution and commentary. We encourage you to join the conversation on our stories via our Facebook, Twitter and other social media pages.
More from Peoples Gazette

Agriculture
FG tasks ECOWAS on leveraging financing strategies for agroecology
The federal government has urged stakeholders in the agriculture and finance sectors in the West Africa region to leverage financing strategies to enhance agroecology practices

Politics
Katsina youths pledge to deliver over 2 million votes to Atiku
“Katsina State is Atiku’s political base because it is his second home.”

Politics
‘I hereby endorse Tinubu for second term in 2027 presidential election,’ Gov Adeleke declares
“My support is just based on the fact that he is a Yoruba man and he’s from the South-West…I will go all out for President Tinubu in 2027,” said Governor Ademola Adeleke.

States
Gov Idris drops Abubakar-Tafida, picks ex-finance commissioner as running mate
Governor Nasir Idris has replaced his deputy, Umar Abubakar-Tafida, with ex-finance commissioner Ibrahim Muhammad-Augie as his running mate for the 2027 governorship election.

Opinion
Osun election shows all is not fair in Nigerian politics
The Osun governorship election has now provided an important measure of where Nigeria stands.

States
14 kidnap victims rescued in Kogi, Plateau operations: Army
The troops had launched a search-and-rescue operation after the victims were kidnapped on Tuesday.

States
19-year-old girl under pressure to start having children allegedly steals newborn baby
According to the police, the suspect was under pressure to have a child, as some of her peers had already given birth.

Politics
Makinde congratulates Adeleke, urges INEC to conduct credible 2027 elections
The off-cycle election is a litmus test for the 2027 general election, according to Mr Makinde, who urged the commission not to let Nigerians down in 2027.






