Court remands singer Terry Apala for naira abuse

Nigerian hip-hop musician Terry Alexander Ejeh, popularly known as Terry Apala, was on Friday remanded in the Ikoyi Correctional Centre, Lagos, over alleged naira mutilation.
The singer allegedly stepped on the notes while dancing at an event in La Madison Place, Oniru, Lagos.
Terry Apala was arraigned before Justice Akintayo Aluko of the Lagos Division of the Federal High Court over a one-count charge of naira mutilation against him by the Lagos Zonal Directorate 1 of the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission (EFCC).
The charge reads: “That you, Terry Alexander Ejeh, on the 5th day of January 2025, at La Madison Place, Oniru, within the jurisdiction of this honourable court, whilst dancing during a social event, tampered with naira notes issued by the Central Bank of Nigeria by marching on the same and you thereby committed an offence contrary to and punishable under section 21(1) of the Central Bank of Nigeria Act, 2007.”
The singer pleaded not guilty.
The prosecution counsel, S.I. Sulaiman, thereafter applied for a trial date and urged the court to remand the defendant in a correctional facility.
However, Ejeh’s lawyer, Felix Nwakbudu, told the court that a bail application had already been filed on behalf of his client. He added that the EFCC had been served with the application and appealed to the court to allow him to present it.
“ Whilst praying the court for a short date for the hearing of the bail application, I will be craving the indulgence of the court to release the defendant to the defence.
“We undertake to produce him in court. He will not evade hearing. He came in from the United Kingdom on April 23, 2025, and on the invitation of the EFCC, he came on his own,” Nwakbudu said.
EFCC’s counsel opposed the request, stating that he had just received the application shortly before the court session and would need time to study it and respond accordingly.
Justice Aluko, in a brief ruling, ordered that Ejeh be remanded at the Ikoyi Correctional Centre pending the hearing and determination of his bail application.
The judge also directed that the matter be heard expeditiously and adjourned the case till May 5, 2025, for trial.
We have recently deactivated our website's comment provider in favour of other channels of distribution and commentary. We encourage you to join the conversation on our stories via our Facebook, Twitter and other social media pages.
More from Peoples Gazette

Agriculture
FG tasks ECOWAS on leveraging financing strategies for agroecology
The federal government has urged stakeholders in the agriculture and finance sectors in the West Africa region to leverage financing strategies to enhance agroecology practices

Politics
Katsina youths pledge to deliver over 2 million votes to Atiku
“Katsina State is Atiku’s political base because it is his second home.”

Sport
FIFA sacks chief operating officer after criticising Infantino’s investment plan
Mr Lamour’s dismissal was confirmed by a FIFA spokesperson, who said the COO would be relieved of his responsibilities effective Monday.

States
Oyebamiji begs Adeleke, IGP Disu to stop post-election violent attacks on APC members
“I wish to alert the state government and security agents to the growing trend of hostility and violence against our members and supporters,” Mr Oyebamiji said on Tuesday.

Hot news Home top
‘This is probably my last year of football,’ says Ronaldo
“This is probably my last year of football, and I want to leave a spectacular legacy,” said Ronaldo.

Politics
Former military dictator IBB ‘father of Abia state’, says Otti
Governor Alex Otti congratulated former military dictator Ibrahim Babangida on his 85th birthday, describing him as the ‘Father of Abia state’.

Economy
Iran War: Trump threatens to bomb Oman over Strait of Hormuz
President Donald Trump threatened to bomb Oman in the Middle East if it “gets in the way” of its deal between the United States and Iran over the Strait of Hormuz.

World
Thousands keep vigil to mourn Jason Arday
Thousands of people gathered on Monday at a vigil in Trafalgar Square for Jason Arday, a 41-year-old Cambridge University professor who died amid allegations of plagiarism.






