Friday, August 21, 2026

Court vacates order for temporary forfeiture of $378, 000, exotic car to FG

Justice Nwite agreed with the defence counsel, Afam Osigwe, SAN, that the ICPC failed to disclose to the court of a pending matter in a sister court.

• April 3, 2025
Court Gavel
Court gavel

The Federal High Court in Abuja on Thursday set aside the order directing the temporary forfeiture of $378, 000 and a Mercedes Benz GLS 600 Maybach to the Federal Government.

Justice Emeka Nwite, in a ruling, held that the Independent Corrupt Practices and Other Related Offences Commission concealed and suppressed material facts in obtaining the order.

Justice Nwite agreed with the defence counsel, Afam Osigwe, SAN, that the ICPC failed to disclose to the court of a pending matter in a sister court where parties had been ordered to maintain status quo pending the determination of the matter.

The judge acknowledged that though the commission’s lawyer, Osuobeni Akponimisingha, maintained that the anti-graft agency did not conceal any fact as the obtained order had nothing to do with the pending case, he held that the law placed much trust on the party applying for such order.

Besides, he held that it was the duty of the parties, as the law imposed, to be diligent in their cases.

“It is not in doubt that the suit is connected to the present proceedings,” he said, adding that “the suit has the capacity to influence the decision of this court.”

He said that the ICPC coming to court to get the order, while the earlier order to maintain status quo by the sister court had not been set aside, amounted to an abuse of court process.

He said, “The applicant is naturally bound to respect the order of this court made on the 14th day of August, 2024.”

According to the judge, it must be stated that this court and any other courts has inherent power to set aside its decision where the decision was taken without jurisdiction and where the decision is short of material facts.

He said the court could also vacate its decision if there was misrepresentation of material facts or if there had been non-disclosure of material facts, among others.

He said that a party is bound by law to avail the court necessary and material facts that would assist the court to determine a matter.

“Consequently, this court holds that the applicant concealed and suppressed material facts,” he said.

Justice Nwite, who made the order setting aside the interim forfeiture of $378, 000 to FG, also directed the ICPC to remove the restriction vide Post No Debit Order placed on the Zenith Bank Account of Fides Et Ratio Academy Limited-5074703084.

The judge equally ordered immediate release of the Mercedes Benz GLS 600 Maybach detained by the anti-corruption commission.

Justice Nwite had, on January 6, ordered a temporary forfeiture of $378, 000 and a Mercedes Benz GLS 600 Maybach to the Federal Government.

Justice Emeka Nwite, in a ruling, made the order after Akponimisingha moved a motion ex-parte to the effect.

Justice Nwite, who granted the motion, also directed the commission to publish the notice in a national daily for interested person(s) to show cause why the cash and the vehicle should not be permanently forfeited to the Federal Government.

The judge then adjourned the matter until February 20 for a report of compliance.

The money and the vehicle, allegedly said to be proceeds of unlawful activities, were linked to Paul Chukwuma, Managing Director and Chief Executive Officer of Fides Et Ratio Academy Limited.

In the motion ex-parte marked: FHC/ABJ/CS/1982/V/2024 and filed by the ICPC Chairman, Dr Musa Aliyu, SAN; Chukwuma, Klaus Stierstorfer, and Fides Et Ratio Academy Limited were sued as 1st to 3rd defendants respectively.

Giving 10 grounds why the application should be granted, the ICPC chair said the victims of the alleged crime of the respondents is the Federal Government of Nigeria and its citizens who honestly and diligently pay their taxes as and when due.

He said the alleged unlawful activities of the respondents had continued to cause untold hardship on honest Nigerians, especially, students of tertiary institutions.

According to him, without an order of the honourable court, the applicant cannot legally recover the alleged moveable property already restricted vide Post-No-Debit Order into the commission’s recovery account domiciled with CBN for proper use for the benefit of honest Nigerians.

Idris Abubakar, a litigation officer, Legal Services Department, ICPC, in the affidavit he deposed to, said the commission received a petition alleging that the Tertiary Education Trust Fund allegedly made payment to a contractor for an unexecuted project.

He said during the investigation, it was discovered that TETFund entered into a memorandum of understanding with two companies to provide ICT services to tertiary institutions, including universities, polytechnics and colleges of education.

He, however, alleged that TETFund jettisoned the conditions given by the Bureau of Public Procurement and went ahead to engage Fides Et Ratio Academy Limited.

He alleged that several funds were misappropriated in the deal.

The officer alleged that when the ICPC investigators requested Chukwuma to provide them with information on how to get across to Stierstorfer, the effort was unsuccessful to date.

According to him, the applicant (ICPC) is still on the trail of Prof. Dr. Klaus Stierstorfer, with a view to get him to clarify some of Chukwuma’s claims.

However, Chukwuma, on February 20 prayed the court to set aside the interim forfeiture order against his assets.

Chukwuma, represented by Osigwe, urged Justice Nwite to vacate the order in the interest of justice.

Mr Osigwe had told the court that a motion on notice was filed on behalf of Chukwuma on January 9, seeking an order of court setting aside the interim forfeiture order.

The lawyer argued that the order obtained by the ICPC was an abuse of the court process.

He submitted that the commission got the order after a charge had already been filed against Chukwuma in a sister court.

According to him, the order ought to be made by the court where the charge was filed.

(NAN)

We have recently deactivated our website's comment provider in favour of other channels of distribution and commentary. We encourage you to join the conversation on our stories via our Facebook, Twitter and other social media pages.

More from Peoples Gazette

farmers

Agriculture

FG tasks ECOWAS on leveraging financing strategies for agroecology

The federal government has urged stakeholders in the agriculture and finance sectors in the West Africa region to leverage financing strategies to enhance agroecology practices

Katsina State

Politics

Katsina youths pledge to deliver over 2 million votes to Atiku

“Katsina State is Atiku’s political base because it is his second home.”

Benue house of assembly

Anti-Corruption

Benue assembly suspends Kwande LGA chair for abuse of office, gross misconduct

The Benue assembly recommended suspending the chairman of Kwande council area, Vitalis Neji, for three months over allegations of gross misconduct and abuse of office.

Mining marshals

Anti-Corruption

Mining marshals intensify crackdown on illegal mining cartels

“We must ask: How do the people in those forests feed? How do they get money?” Mr Onoja said.

Victony

Showbiz

Victony releases sophomore ‘Starlife’ album

Singer Anthony Victor, aka Victony, has released his second studio album, ‘Starlife’, a 15-track project.

Don Jazzy with Ayra Starr

Showbiz

Don Jazzy hails Ayra Starr, says ‘she has changed my life’

Nigerian record producer and singer, Michael Ajereh, popularly known as Don Jazzy, says Afrobeats star, Sarah Aderibigbe, known as Ayra Starr, has changed his life.

CEO, Olatunji ‘Whitelion’ Adebola

Anti-Corruption

EFCC arrests, arraigns Brookfield Holdings CEO Olatunji Adebola for alleged N1 billion fraud

Brookfield Group Holdings and its CEO, Olatunji Adebola, were arraigned on Thursday before Justice C. Ngozi of the FCT High Court, Maitama Division, on allegations of N990 million fraud.

Diaspora

Nigerian drug trafficker Gideon Olumoyegun convicted in UK, awaits sentencing September 3

The 26-year-old Nigerian and his gang members arrived in the UK on the same flights from Thailand via Paris Charles de Gaulle Airport.