CSOs seek protection for Ondo REC amid calls for redeployment ahead of gov poll

A coalition of civil society organisations in Ondo State has called on the Inspector- General of Police, Kayode Egbetokun, to provide adequate security for the Resident Electoral Commissioner in the state, Oluwatoyin Babalola, ahead of the November 16 governorship election.
Recall that the state chapter of the Peoples Democratic Party and some youths group demanded Mrs Babalola redeployment from the state, citing her alleged “fraternising” with the members of the state All Progressives Congress.
The opposition party protested and claimed that the REC had been a resident in the state for several years, questioning her integrity to oversee the exercise.
Speaking on the issue, the coalition said it was worried about the protests against Mrs Babalola by some politicians in the state demanding her redeployment to heat up the polity and also create uncertainty.
Addressing journalists on Thursday in Akure, the Chairman of the Coalition, Franklin Oloniju, said that the protests against Mrs Babalola were deliberately being orchestrated to pre-empt the outcome of the election.
Mr Oloniju, flanked by other members of the group, said the repeated calls for the redeployment of the REC was also aimed at disrupting the peaceful political atmosphere and instigating election violence during and after the exercise.
He said, “We call on the police to take extra measures to protect the woman REC and the entire state from the evil machinations of these unscrupulous elements.’’.
Mr Oloniju also alleged that the REC was being persecuted by leaders of some of the political parties because of her gender.
According to him, the call for Mrs Babalola’s redeployment became more worrisome, especially when her state of origin had never been in doubt in the past.
He stated that it was shameful that political actors intending to create chaos and tension in the state were attempting to use negative and false narrative to achieve their devilish intentions.
He added, “The CSOs in Ondo State stand firmly against any attempts to intimidate the Resident Electoral Commissioner REC because of her gender. These same political parties participated in the Edo State governorship election and never questioned or campaigned against a REC accused of being a member of a political party and a brother to a well-known politician in the country. They have now found their voice because the REC in Ondo State is a woman. We would like to state categorically that we will resist any gender-based violence and intimidation in the state, as we have always done.
We have recently deactivated our website's comment provider in favour of other channels of distribution and commentary. We encourage you to join the conversation on our stories via our Facebook, Twitter and other social media pages.
More from Peoples Gazette

Agriculture
FG tasks ECOWAS on leveraging financing strategies for agroecology
The federal government has urged stakeholders in the agriculture and finance sectors in the West Africa region to leverage financing strategies to enhance agroecology practices

Politics
Katsina youths pledge to deliver over 2 million votes to Atiku
“Katsina State is Atiku’s political base because it is his second home.”

States
Oyebamiji begs Adeleke, IGP Disu to stop post-election violent attacks on APC members
“I wish to alert the state government and security agents to the growing trend of hostility and violence against our members and supporters,” Mr Oyebamiji said on Tuesday.

Hot news Home top
‘This is probably my last year of football,’ says Ronaldo
“This is probably my last year of football, and I want to leave a spectacular legacy,” said Ronaldo.

Politics
Former military dictator IBB ‘father of Abia state’, says Otti
Governor Alex Otti congratulated former military dictator Ibrahim Babangida on his 85th birthday, describing him as the ‘Father of Abia state’.

Economy
Iran War: Trump threatens to bomb Oman over Strait of Hormuz
President Donald Trump threatened to bomb Oman in the Middle East if it “gets in the way” of its deal between the United States and Iran over the Strait of Hormuz.

World
Thousands keep vigil to mourn Jason Arday
Thousands of people gathered on Monday at a vigil in Trafalgar Square for Jason Arday, a 41-year-old Cambridge University professor who died amid allegations of plagiarism.

Africa
Ebola outbreak becomes deadliest in DR Congo’s history
WHO says Ebola Bundibugyo outbreak in the Democratic Republic of the Congo is now the deadliest the country has ever faced.






