Friday, August 21, 2026

Dasukigate: EFCC to re-arraign Olisa Metuh over N400 million fraud

Metuh was jailed over the allegation he received N 400 million from former national security adviser Sambo Dasuki before the 2015 election.

• April 11, 2022
Olisa Metuh
Olisa Metuh

The Economic and Financial Crimes Commission (EFCC) will, on May 30, re-arraign former National Publicity Secretary of Peoples Democratic Party (PDP), Olisa Metuh, on allegations bordering on N400 million fraud.

Mr Metuh is expected to be re-arraigned before Justice Emeka Nwite of the Abuja Division of the Federal High Court.

On Monday, from Court 8, where Mr Nwite presides, it was gathered that hearing notices had already been issued, though it could not be confirmed if counsel to the parties had been communicated.

On February 15, the retrial of the ex-PDP spokesman was reassigned to Mr Nwite, the new judge in the Abuja division.

Before the reassignment, the matter was before a judge, Obiora Egwuatu. The case was assigned to Mr Egwuatu last year following his transfer to the Abuja division of the court.

Mr Egwatu had fixed October 14, 2021, for Metuh’s re-arraignment after the Court of Appeal’s decision, nullifying the trial court’s judgment.

But on the adjourned date, the judge was not in court. He was said to have gone for the judges’ seminar in Lagos. The court, therefore, fixed February 15 for the former PDP spokesman’s retrial.

But a check at Court 9, where the suit was expected to be held, showed that the case between the federal government and Mr Metuh was not on the cause list.

However, it was gathered that the matter, which had not commenced before Mr Egwuatu, was reassigned to Mr Nwite, recently transferred to the Abuja division after the retirement of Justice Anwuli Chikere.

The Court of Appeal had, on December 16, 2020, nullified a Federal High Court judgment that convicted and sentenced Mr Metuh to seven years imprisonment for money laundering.

In a unanimous decision, a three-person panel of justices of the appellate court held that the judgment of the trial judge, Okon Abang, delivered against Mr Metuh on February 25, 2020, was tainted with bias.

Mr Metuh was jailed over the allegation he received N 400 million from former National Security Adviser Sambo Dasuki before the 2015 presidential election, without contract approval or execution.

His earlier conviction followed a seven-count charge preferred against him and his firm by the EFCC.

(NAN)

We have recently deactivated our website's comment provider in favour of other channels of distribution and commentary. We encourage you to join the conversation on our stories via our Facebook, Twitter and other social media pages.

More from Peoples Gazette

farmers

Agriculture

FG tasks ECOWAS on leveraging financing strategies for agroecology

The federal government has urged stakeholders in the agriculture and finance sectors in the West Africa region to leverage financing strategies to enhance agroecology practices

Katsina State

Politics

Katsina youths pledge to deliver over 2 million votes to Atiku

“Katsina State is Atiku’s political base because it is his second home.”

PENGASSAN

NationWide

PENGASSAN urges action on oil, gas reforms

PENGASSAN called for the effective implementation of ongoing oil and gas reforms to attract sustainable and bankable investments into the sector.

NationWide

EFCC withdraws cybercrime charges against Bayero University student Maryam Shehu, another individual

The anti-graft agency said its chairman Ola Olukoyede ordered the withdrawal of the charges on compassionate grounds.

Anti-Corruption

Man arraigned over alleged N40 million visa fraud

The magistrate adjourned the case until October 26 for mention.

World

ICC president Akane warns of ‘demise of rule of law’ after Trump sanctions

ICC president Tomoko Akane warned of the demise of the rule of law after the U.S. sanctioned her and senior trial lawyer Abdoulaye Seye.

Muslims praying inside mosque

NationWide

Eid-ul-Mawlid: FG declares Tuesday public holiday

Minister of Interior, Olubunmi Tunji-Ojo, said the period should also serve as a time for collective prayer for the country’s peace and cohesion.

Image used to illustrate the story

States

Minister recruits 200 volunteer teachers to provide extra classes for SSCE, UTME candidates in Katsina

The initiative would initially cover Malumfashi, Funtua, Dutsinma, Kankia, Katsina, Mani, and Daura local government areas, with plans to expand it to all 34 LGAs in the state.