Defence minister scores Tinubu 70% on security amid mass abductions of schoolchildren

The Minister of Defence, Christopher Musa, on Friday rated the President Bola Tinubu administration 70 per cent on national security, despite widespread school abductions in the past three years.
Mr Musa made the claim in an interview with Arise TV on Friday when asked to assess Mr Tinubu’s performance on security over the past three years of his leadership.
“I will give our government 65-70 per cent, because nation is totally free of crimes and criminality. The level of terrorism has drastically reduced. Now we have acts of terrorism. Terrorism a social vice as a result of failure of family values,” he said
Based on Nigeria’s academic grading system, 70 per cent is considered an excellent score.
The Defence minister also highlighted hunger for quick wealth among factors fueling banditry and kidnapping, adding that, “You cannot rule out politics. Act of sabotage to make the govrnement look weak and ungovernable.”
Mr Musa’s statement comes as the Peoples Gazette reported that nearly 600 students have been kidnapped in various coordinated attacks on schools by bandits and terrorist groups in the past three years.
Per reported cases of school abductions, since May 29, 2023, The Gazette’s checks showed that 597 schoolchildren and students have been abducted under Mr Tinubu’s watch.
The report shows that an average of 199 students were abducted every year since Mr Tinubu assumed office
In his speech to mark his third year in office, Mr Tinubu admitted that insecurity remained a major challenge, saying that his government was determined to tackle the menace.
“Security remains central to our national mission and to the creation of a virile and prosperous society. Our armed forces and security agencies have intensified operations against terrorists, bandits, kidnappers, oil thieves, and criminal networks. While challenges remain, many communities and highways are becoming safer and more economically active,” Mr Tinubu said.
We have recently deactivated our website's comment provider in favour of other channels of distribution and commentary. We encourage you to join the conversation on our stories via our Facebook, Twitter and other social media pages.
More from Peoples Gazette

Agriculture
FG tasks ECOWAS on leveraging financing strategies for agroecology
The federal government has urged stakeholders in the agriculture and finance sectors in the West Africa region to leverage financing strategies to enhance agroecology practices

Politics
Katsina youths pledge to deliver over 2 million votes to Atiku
“Katsina State is Atiku’s political base because it is his second home.”

World
World’s oldest person Ethel Caterham celebrates 117th birthday
Ms Caterham is the last known surviving person born during the reign of King Edward VII, who died in 1910.

States
24 ISWAP family members surrender to troops in Borno
The report stated, “Troops arrested one suspect in possession of a magazine loaded with 35 rounds of 7.62mm special ammunition.”

Lagos
Five die in Badagry road crash
Mr Oke-Osanyintolu said, ““The remains of the victims were carefully recovered, bagged with dignity, and handed over to officials of the Federal Road Safety Corps.”

Heading 1
Tinubu appoints Ngozi Olejeme, Betta Edu fingered in over N1 billion fraud as 2027 campaign council members
The EFCC told the People Gazette that investigations were still ongoing on Mr Edu’s case.

World
U.S. military fires publisher, top editor of Stars and Stripes reporting U.S. navy sailors’ travails
The newspaper’s publisher since 2007, Max Lederer, who had earlier this week announced his retirement in September, was also fired.

Heading 2
Atiku’s latest position on subsidy driven by political desperation, says ex-APC spokesman
Mr Oladejo noted that subsidy removal should not be reduced to a mere campaign slogan.






