Tuesday, August 18, 2026

Donald Trump’s $100,000 fee for work visa to U.S. corrupt, unconstitutional, court rules

A court invalidated President Donald Trump’s imposition of a $100,000 fee on new H-1B visa applications for foreign skilled workers, declaring it unconstitutional.

• June 9, 2026
Trump in court
Trump in court

A U.S. federal court on Monday invalidated President Donald Trump’s imposition of a $100,000 fee on new H-1B visa applications for foreign skilled workers, declaring it unconstitutional.

The ruling by District Judge Leo Sorokin in Boston followed a lawsuit in December by 20 state attorneys general challenging Mr Trump’s September 2025 executive order raising the fee from $5,000 to $100,000.

“The policy implementing the proclamation is declared unlawful and is vacated in its entirety,” Mr Sorokin said in the 42-page ruling.

Mr Trump raised the fee amid his immigration crackdown. The president said companies had exploited the scheme to bring in foreign workers who would accept lower wages, to the detriment of qualified Americans.

Since returning to the White House last year, Mr Trump has moved to limit immigration into the U.S., citing a high rate of visa overstays and identity fraud, among other issues.

The H-1B visa programme, launched in 1990 by Congress, allows U.S. companies in sectors ranging from healthcare to engineering, manufacturing, finance, and business services to employ specialised foreign workers.

The programme provides 65,000 visas annually, with an additional 20,000 for people with advanced degrees.

Prior to Mr Trump’s proclamation, the H-1B visa fee ranged from $5,000 to $6,000, depending on factors such as company size. 

Under the programme, employers may sponsor foreign workers to work in the U.S. for an initial period of three years, extendable for another three years while they pursue permanent residency.

The plaintiffs argued that the policy was unlawful because it exceeded Mr Trump’s statutory powers, as Congress had not authorised it.

They also contended that the additional fee would worsen shortages of skilled workers, particularly in healthcare facilities and other institutions that rely on foreign professionals.

In defence of the proclamation, the Trump administration cited sections 212(f) and 215(a) of the Immigration and Nationality Act (INA), which allows the president to restrict the entry of foreign nationals into the U.S.

However, Mr Sorokin declared that Mr Trump lacked the authority to change immigration policy, as Congress had not approved such a change. The judge considered the fee to be a tax.

“The president had no power or delegated authority to impose a tax on H-1B petitions,” the judge said. “Here, the substance and application of the $100,000 payment reveal that it is a tax, regardless of what the payment is called.” 

We have recently deactivated our website's comment provider in favour of other channels of distribution and commentary. We encourage you to join the conversation on our stories via our Facebook, Twitter and other social media pages.

More from Peoples Gazette

farmers

Agriculture

FG tasks ECOWAS on leveraging financing strategies for agroecology

The federal government has urged stakeholders in the agriculture and finance sectors in the West Africa region to leverage financing strategies to enhance agroecology practices

Katsina State

Politics

Katsina youths pledge to deliver over 2 million votes to Atiku

“Katsina State is Atiku’s political base because it is his second home.”

President Bola Tinubu

NationWide

Tinubu pledges peaceful campaign ahead of 2027 elections

“Let us remember that elections are not a do-or-die affair. We are partners in the project of nation-building,” he said.

Lagos Commissioner for Environment and Water Resources, Tokunbo Wahab

Lagos

Lagos warns car-spotters against obstructing roads, constituting nuisance

The Commissioner for Environment, Tokunbo Wahab, said car-spotting breaches motorists’ privacy and urged them to carry out their activity in car lots.

recover two motorcycles

States

Police arrest five suspects in Benue, recover two motorcycles

The Benue State police command arrested five suspects who specialised in stealing motorcycles and motor vehicles.

Ateneo de Zamboanga University’s Junior High School

World

One dead, others injured in livestreamed Philippines school shooting

The student killed a male tenth-grader before taking his own life while livestreaming the attack with a body camera.

ICE officials

World

Over 5,000 Ethiopians face deportation after U.S. court ruling

A federal judge ruled to end Temporary Protected Status (TPS), which allows Ethiopians to live and work in the U.S.

University of Lagos

Education

UNILAG extends deadline for UTME candidates to upload results after portal glitch

The deadline, initially set for Wednesday, has been moved to August 24, 2026.