Wednesday, October 5, 2022

DR Congo reports three new Ebola cases: WHO

A total of 12 cases, including six deaths, have been reported since the last Ebola outbreak on February 7.

• October 18, 2021
World Health Organisation (Photo Credit: WHO)

Three new cases of Ebola have been confirmed by health officials in the north-eastern province of North Kivu in the Democratic Republic of Congo (DRC).

It was discovered five months after the end of a previous Ebola outbreak in the same province, the World Health Organisation (WHO) said on Monday.

As of October 16, three new cases had been confirmed, including two deaths, in the Butsili Health Area of Beni Health Zone.

This brings the total to five confirmed cases with three deaths, the WHO’s office in Congo said on Monday on its Twitter account.

Five cases have so far been confirmed by health officials, including three deaths, since the first confirmed case of a two-year-old boy who died on October 6.

About 100 people likely to have been exposed to the virus have been identified, Congo’s health minister Jean-Jacques Mbungani, said without specifying whether the new cases were linked to the 2018 and 2020 Ebola outbreak.

Congo’s health ministry had on October 8 declared a resurgence of Ebola in the region, without clarifying the resurgence of another Ebola outbreak in the region.

The declaration is coming five months after the end of the last outbreak in the same region.

In early May 2021, Congo officially declared the end of the 12th Ebola outbreak in North Kivu province.

A total of 12 cases, including six deaths, have been reported since the last Ebola outbreak, which was declared on February 7 and marked the country’s 12th outbreak.

The cases were genetically linked to the 2018 and 2020 outbreak that killed more than 2,200 people in eastern Congo, the second deadliest on record.

(NAN)

We have recently deactivated our website's comment provider in favour of other channels of distribution and commentary. We encourage you to join the conversation on our stories via our Facebook, Twitter and other social media pages.

More from Peoples Gazette

Giacomo Raspadori

Hot news Home top

UCL: Napoli wallop Calvin Bassey’s Ajax 6-1 to maintain 100% record

The victory sent Napoli top of Group A with a 100 per cent record and 11 goals difference.

SP Benjamin Hundeyin

Hot news Home top

Police rescue four suspected shoplifters from jungle justice in Lagos

The suspects were captured on CCTV while shoplifting six bottles of Martell Blue swift cognac from a supermarket.

Governor Dave Umahi supervising the beating of civil servants

Heading 5

Gov. Umahi orders soldiers to brutalise Ebonyi workers over alleged lateness to work

His hand coordination suggested that Mr Umahi was directing the soldiers to hit specific parts of the public servants’ bodies.

Femi Gbajabiamila

Education

ASUU strike to be called off soon, Gbajabiamila assures

The lawmaker said that President Muhammadu Buhari was eager to bring the over eight-month-old strike to an end.

Ayodeji Adebayo and Akinlayo Kolawole

Anti-Corruption

Police detain journalist for exposing Ekiti APC candidate over alleged N3 billion fraud

The politician allegedly defrauded his victim on the pretext of helping him to acquire property around the Gwarinpa area of Abuja.

Percival Mabasa

Hot news Home top

Assailants gun down popular Philippine journalist known for criticising president

Percival Mabasa was inside his car, in front of his Las Pinas home, when he was killed by two assailants on a motorcycle.