Earlier claim of Al-Manuki’s death in 2024 was mistaken identity: Presidency

The government of President Bola Tinubu says Nigerians were misinformed by an earlier claim that ISIS leader Abu-Bilal Al-Manuki was killed in 2024.
U.S. President Donald Trump’s announcement that Abu-Bilal Al-Manuki was killed by U.S. and Nigerian forces on Friday has triggered reactions among Nigerians, with many resurfacing past statements by the Nigerian military claiming the ISIS leader had already been eliminated.
In a statement on Saturday, Bayo Onanuga, spokesperson for the Tinubu government, said, “It is acknowledged within military and intelligence circles that Al-Manuki’s name had appeared among lists of suspected ISWAP/Boko Haram commanders reportedly killed in 2024 during operations around the Birnin Gwari forest axis in Kaduna State.”
“However, security officials now clarify that the earlier listing was a case of mistaken identity or misattribution in the fog of sustained counterinsurgency operations. Importantly, intelligence now confirms that the Birnin Gwari theatre was never within Al-Manuki’s established operational sphere, which negates the accuracy of the earlier assessment.”
According to the presidential spokesperson, the needless controversy trailing the reported elimination of Al-Manuki, described as a senior commander of the Islamic State West Africa Province (ISWAP), has once again exposed the gulf between the public sceptics and the realities of modern counterterrorism operations.
He stated that modern counterterrorism history is replete with similar cases of initial uncertainty, particularly in complex environments where insurgent networks operate across difficult terrain and rely heavily on aliases, fragmented identities, and misinformation.
“For example, even in the global campaign against ISIS leadership, early reports of the death of Abu Bakr al-Baghdadi were later proven incorrect, with his actual death confirmed four years after the first successful killing was announced,” Mr Onanuga said.
He added, “Such cases highlight not failure but rather the evolving, often imperfect nature of intelligence gathering in asymmetric warfare.”
Hours after Mr Trump announced that Mr Al-Manuki had been killed in airstrikes on Friday, the U.S. Africa Command (AFRICOM) on Saturday released footage of the operation in which the ISIS leader and other members of his group were killed.
We have recently deactivated our website's comment provider in favour of other channels of distribution and commentary. We encourage you to join the conversation on our stories via our Facebook, Twitter and other social media pages.
More from Peoples Gazette

Agriculture
FG tasks ECOWAS on leveraging financing strategies for agroecology
The federal government has urged stakeholders in the agriculture and finance sectors in the West Africa region to leverage financing strategies to enhance agroecology practices

Politics
Katsina youths pledge to deliver over 2 million votes to Atiku
“Katsina State is Atiku’s political base because it is his second home.”

Economy
Recapitalisation: Shareholders seek deadline extension for insurers
Mr Okezie said withdrawing licences from companies making genuine efforts could hurt shareholders and investors whose funds remained tied up in affected firms.

States
Scores of terrorists killed in Borno air strikes: Army
The Nigerian Army said air platforms of its Operation Hadin Kai killed scores of terrorists in different locations across Borno State.

NationWide
Atiku pleads with FBI not to shield Tinubu, says president danger to Nigerians not Americans
“Our message is simple: Protect your investigators. Protect your sources. Protect your methods. But do not protect the truth from Nigerians,” Mr Atiku said.

NationWide
Nigerians react, allege Tinubu appointed Adedeji to divert taxes for 2027 campaign
Mr Adedeji was appointed deputy director of fundraising for Mr Tinubu’s 2027 presidential reelection campaign on Saturday.

States
Police dislodge bandits’ hideout, rescue three kidnap victims in Kaduna
Mr Hassan said the rescued victims have been reunited with their families, while efforts are ongoing to apprehend the fleeing suspects.

World
Chinese humanoid robot ‘Lightning’ beats Usain Bolt’s 100m world record
The robot’s time also edged Bolt’s world record of 9.58 seconds in the men’s 100m, which the Jamaican set at the 2009 World Athletics Championships in Berlin.






