Eastland electricity firm uncovers over 300 meter bypass cases in Ebonyi

The Eastland Electricity Distribution Limited has raised concerns over meter bypass and other forms of energy theft across communities in Ebonyi.
The company disclosed that it uncovered over 300 confirmed cases during monitoring and enforcement operations in the first quarter of 2026, according to a statement on Friday.
It explained that the company’s technical and commercial teams identified the cases following intensified inspections across the state.
The statement noted that the inspections were part of efforts to protect electricity infrastructure and improve service delivery.
“EEDL strongly condemns meter bypass and energy theft. The practice is illegal, dangerous, and detrimental to a sustainable electricity supply.
“Meter bypass and energy theft are criminal acts that sabotage the power sector, damage critical infrastructure, and deprive honest customers of quality power supply.
“Electricity facilities are shared community assets, and when individuals tamper with meters or steal energy, entire communities suffer outages and equipment failures,” she said.
It noted that energy theft contributed significantly to transformer overload, frequent power interruptions, increased operational costs, and safety hazards, including fire outbreaks and electrocution.
The firm condemned reported incidents where some customers allegedly attacked or obstructed EEDL field personnel during inspection activities.
It restated that EEDL remained committed to supporting economic growth and development in Ebonyi through improved energy distribution and network enhancement.
“EEDL has come to partner with the people and government of Ebonyi state to drive development through reliable electricity supply. However, no electricity business can survive or sustain improvement efforts if energy theft continues unabated. Responsible energy use is essential for progress,” said the firm.
The company disclosed that it issued penalty charges to customers found culpable in line with existing electricity regulations.
“Further enforcement measures, including disconnection and possible prosecution, may be applied where necessary,” it said.
The firm announced that monitoring and surveillance operations had been intensified across the state and advised customers currently involved in meter bypass or unauthorised connections to desist from such acts.
The company appealed to residents, community leaders, and stakeholders to support efforts to combat energy theft by reporting suspicious electricity activity in their communities.
EEDL reaffirmed its commitment to delivering safe, reliable, and efficient electricity services while protecting the interests of law-abiding customers across the state.
(NAN)
We have recently deactivated our website's comment provider in favour of other channels of distribution and commentary. We encourage you to join the conversation on our stories via our Facebook, Twitter and other social media pages.
More from Peoples Gazette

Agriculture
FG tasks ECOWAS on leveraging financing strategies for agroecology
The federal government has urged stakeholders in the agriculture and finance sectors in the West Africa region to leverage financing strategies to enhance agroecology practices

Politics
Katsina youths pledge to deliver over 2 million votes to Atiku
“Katsina State is Atiku’s political base because it is his second home.”

Uncategorized
Why Nigeria is becoming an interesting market for international online casinos
Nigeria has an established betting culture, giving gaming businesses a starting point as they assess how consumers discover, compare and use platforms.

Port Harcourt
UNICEF seeks ethical reporting of children
The speakers stressed that the media could either compound children’s burdens or help protect them.

States
Ebonyi LG Poll: Police announce movement restriction
Ms Okafor warned that anyone found engaging in acts capable of causing a breakdown of law and order would face the full weight of the law.

Heading 1
Suspected cultists denied access to Davido at Ataoja’s palace shot 60-year-old man dead: Police
Police said the incident occurred around Ita-Olokan area of Osogbo at about 4 p.m., shortly after the governor visited the monarch alongside Davido.

Hot news Home top
Nigeria, Kenya lose $286 million music revenue annually to copyright gaps: U.S.
She urged policymakers to ratify and fully implement the WIPO Copyright Treaty.







