Saturday, August 22, 2026

EFCC secured over 7,000 convictions, recovered N500 billion in two years of Tinubu’s administration: Shettima 

He urged members of the judiciary to continue carrying out their duties with patriotism. 

• October 20, 2025
Vice-President Kashim Shettima
Vice-President Kashim Shettima

Vice President Kashim Shettima said that the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission (EFCC) has handled more than 7,000 cases and recovered over N500 billion in the last two years of President Bola Tinubu’s administration.

Mr Shettima disclosed this on Monday at the seventh edition of a three-day capacity-building workshop for judges and justices, organised by the EFCC and the National Judicial Institute in Abuja.

“As an administration, we have prioritised public accountability by strengthening the anti-corruption agencies and giving them the needed independence to execute their statutory mandates.

“This enabling environment is evident in the impact that has been made in the last two years. The EFCC, for example, has recorded over 7,000 convictions in the past two years of the present administration and recovered assets in excess of ₦500 billion,” he said.

According to Mr Shettima, “Recovered proceeds of crime by the EFCC are being brought back into the economy to fund critical social investment programmes, including the students’ loan and consumer credit schemes.”

He added, “We are equally working within the boundaries of the separation of powers to support the judiciary in improving the working conditions of judicial officers.”

Mr Shettima also noted that the remuneration of judges has improved as a result of the recovered proceeds of crime by the anti-graft agency.

He reiterated that the Mr Tinubu-led “administration ensures the rule of law and accountability among all public servants.”

Mr Shettima further said that Mr Tinubu’s government “has allowed both the judiciary and the anti-corruption agencies to exercise their constitutional and statutory powers to dispense justice and restore sanity.”

He urged members of the judiciary to continue carrying out their duties with patriotism, noting that no section of society is exempt from the negative impact of corruption.

“There are no special roads, hospitals, or communities for judges,” he said. “We all shop in the same markets and face the same risk of insecurity, which is the culmination of decades of willful theft and wastage of the nation’s resources by corrupt public officials.”

Mr Shettima, however, highlighted his belief in the judicial system, which he described as pivotal to a corruption-free Nigeria.

“A robust judicial system is central to the success of anti-corruption efforts, and I count on our judges, our revered judges, to help us achieve this normal aspiration,” he said.

We have recently deactivated our website's comment provider in favour of other channels of distribution and commentary. We encourage you to join the conversation on our stories via our Facebook, Twitter and other social media pages.

More from Peoples Gazette

farmers

Agriculture

FG tasks ECOWAS on leveraging financing strategies for agroecology

The federal government has urged stakeholders in the agriculture and finance sectors in the West Africa region to leverage financing strategies to enhance agroecology practices

Katsina State

Politics

Katsina youths pledge to deliver over 2 million votes to Atiku

“Katsina State is Atiku’s political base because it is his second home.”

The U.S Pentagon building in Arlington, Virginia

World

U.S. military fires publisher, top editor of Stars and Stripes reporting U.S. navy sailors’ travails

The newspaper’s publisher since 2007, Max Lederer, who had earlier this week announced his retirement in September, was also fired.

Atiku Abubakar

Heading 2

Atiku’s latest position on subsidy driven by political desperation, says ex-APC spokesman

Mr Oladejo noted that subsidy removal should not be reduced to a mere campaign slogan.

MultiChoice

NationWide

EPL: GOtv, DStv subscribers decry activation delay

One of the subscribers, Abuja Streets (@abujastreets) wrote on X on Friday that the EPL resumed but subscribers were stranded.

President Donald Trump and Mark Carney

World

Carney vows retaliation as Trump govt slams fresh 50% tariffs on Canadian goods

Mr Trump set a deadline for negotiations, but negotiators said they had yet to reach an agreement.

Gunmen

States

Terrorists storm Niger mosque during prayers, abduct worshippers

The police said security operatives had been deployed to the area for assessment and rescue operations.