EFCC seizes N3 billion from Maude Aminun-Kano, once sacked by Nigerian Army for fraud under OBJ but reinstated by CJN Tanko

The late Gen. Maude Aminun-Kano has been revealed as one of the military top brass involved in the latest forfeiture by the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission (EFCC).
This followed a court order allowing for the final forfeiture of 24 properties valued at N10.9 billion to the federal government. The properties were seized from top military officers, which Mr Aminun-Kano had acted as proxies for.
On Monday, Justice Nkeoye Maha of the Abuja Division of the Federal High Court, granted the order while ruling on the application by the EFCC counsel Cosmos Ugwu and Musa Isah after the interim forfeiture earlier filed in May 2020.
The court had ordered the interim forfeiture of the properties following an ex parte application by EFCC, alleging that the assets were proceeds of unlawful activities. The filings were uncontested and as such, the court ruled for a final forfeiture.
The commission in a statement, signed by EFCC spokesperson Wilson Uwujaren, said the forfeited properties are on lands valued at over N3 billion and located in different parts of Kano, Katsina, Calabar and Kaduna.
The forfeited properties included Atlasfield Integrated Services Nigeria Limited, Marhaba Events Place, Aflac Plastics and Atlasfield Gas Plant Limited.
Filings from the Corporate Affairs Commission (CAC) show that Atlasfield and Aflac Plastics were registered on September 7, 2016 by Mr Aminun-Kano, who is listed as a director of both companies.
Mr Aminun-Kano had served as the commander of the Nigerian Army School of Finance and Administration.
Between 2003 and 2005, Mr Aminun-Kano faced a court martial by the Nigerian Army for charges bordering on fraud relating to academic activities at the school. The seven-count charge sheet included making false official documents punishable under section 90(a) of the Armed Forces Act Cap. A20 Laws of the Federation of Nigeria, 2004.
In 2010, his conviction was set aside by the Supreme Court, led by now Chief Justice Tanko Mohammed.
In the landmark case, Mr Mohammed said since Mr Aminun-Kano “had an offence condoned by his commanding officer, he shall not be liable in respect of that offence to be tried by a court-martial or to have the case dealt with summarily under this Act.”
This led to the army reinstating Mr Aminun-Kano and restoring him to his rank of brigadier general. He served as chief financial officer, and had been suspected of looting money earmarked for the fight against Boko Haram.
In 2019, Mr Aminun-Kano died after a long protracted illness in Dubai.
We have recently deactivated our website's comment provider in favour of other channels of distribution and commentary. We encourage you to join the conversation on our stories via our Facebook, Twitter and other social media pages.
More from Peoples Gazette

Agriculture
FG tasks ECOWAS on leveraging financing strategies for agroecology
The federal government has urged stakeholders in the agriculture and finance sectors in the West Africa region to leverage financing strategies to enhance agroecology practices

Politics
Katsina youths pledge to deliver over 2 million votes to Atiku
“Katsina State is Atiku’s political base because it is his second home.”

Anti-Corruption
China’s billionaire Evergrande founder Hui Ka-Yan sentenced to life in prison, personal property to be confiscated
The founder and former chairman of China Evergrande Group, Hui Ka-Yan, has been sentenced to life imprisonment after pleading guilty to corporate bribery.

Anti-Corruption
Corruption Proceeds: Tinubu meets EFCC chairman, housing minister on how to manage, dispose of seized properties
The meeting reviewed how to manage seized residential properties in line with the principles of transparency and accountability.

Abuja
Tinubu govt looted fuel subsidy funds, I’ll restore policy if elected president: Atiku
“Where is the money? They stole it. I will return fuel subsidy. The big thing was that they removed the subsidy, but where is the money?” stated Mr Abubakar.

Rights
El-Rufai’s request for transfer of trial to another judge rejected
Kaduna’s chief judge said there was no basis to transfer Mr El-Rufai’s case file from Justice Darius Khobo of the Kaduna State High Court.

Politics
Let us debate issues, Tinubu challenges Atiku, Obi ahead of 2027 presidential poll
Let us campaign on superior ideas. Let us debate issues and promote the best policies to expand opportunities for our people.

Uncategorized
Why Nigeria is becoming an interesting market for international online casinos
Nigeria has an established betting culture, giving gaming businesses a starting point as they assess how consumers discover, compare and use platforms.






