Friday, August 21, 2026

El-Rufai ‘mercilessly looted’ Kaduna, took huge loans for projects abandoned midway: Lawmaker

“In the eighth year of his reign, he singlehandedly took $758 million.’’

• June 6, 2024
Nasir El-rufai
Nasir El-Rufai [Photo credit: ICIR]

Kaduna State lawmaker Henry Marah has faulted ex-governor Nasir El-Rufai’s claim of running an administration of integrity, saying he “mercilessly” depleted the state’s resources and acquired humongous loans worth over $700 million on projects that would take at least 20 years to complete.

Mr Marah stated that Mr El-Rufai left his successor wallowing in $758 million debt that he couldn’t account for.

Mr Marah is the chairman of the committee investigating Mr El-Rufai’s alleged financial misconduct during his eight-year term which ended in May 2023.

The lawmaker argued that it was absurd that the state only incurred $235 million in debt which was later cleared in all of the 50 years, specifically between 1965 and 2015 prior to Mr El-Rufai’s administration. He added that the ex-governor in just eight years in office took out new loans totalling $758 million.

Mr Marah said that Mr El-Rufai in 2015 inherited a buoyant state with N3 billion in government coffers to kick-start his administration, a feat he could not replicate as he rather left his successor to drown in debt.

“From 1965 to when he (El-Rufai) was handed power to, the total debt taken by Kaduna State was $235 million,” Mr Marah explained on Channels TV on Wednesday. “In the eighth year of his reign, he singlehandedly took $758 million.”

“By the time he (El-Rufai) came into office in 2015, the domestic debt incurred by the previous government was completely wiped off. He came in, there was zero debt, and then they left behind for him monies worth about N34 billion to kick off his government,” the Kaduna legislator stated.

Mr El-Rufai had rebuffed fraud allegations claiming they were politically motivated, insisting that he ran a government of integrity.

But Mr Marah queried Mr El-Rufai’s so-called integrity amid huge loans obtained from the Africa Development Bank and Islamic Bank expended on projects that he executed “60 per cent” halfway and later abandoned.

The lawmaker stressed that the claims were not made up as there were documents to buttress his assertions.

“There were several millions of dollars collected from Africa Development Bank and Islamic Bank to execute specific projects that were never done,” Mr Marah stated. “Let us see how he will shamelessly respond to these things (accusations).”

Mr El-Rufai last year fell out with his successor, Uba Sani, currently bearing the burden of his predecessor’s alleged financial misdeeds.

We have recently deactivated our website's comment provider in favour of other channels of distribution and commentary. We encourage you to join the conversation on our stories via our Facebook, Twitter and other social media pages.

More from Peoples Gazette

farmers

Agriculture

FG tasks ECOWAS on leveraging financing strategies for agroecology

The federal government has urged stakeholders in the agriculture and finance sectors in the West Africa region to leverage financing strategies to enhance agroecology practices

Katsina State

Politics

Katsina youths pledge to deliver over 2 million votes to Atiku

“Katsina State is Atiku’s political base because it is his second home.”

Former Vice-President Atiku Abubakar

Economy

Fuel Subsidy: Atiku’s proposal is for subsidising local oil production, aide says

“(The former vice-president) said he will subsidise Nigerian fuel production, not imported fuel—capped, audited and transparent,” his aide clarified.

L-R: Jordan Nyesom-Wike, Osun State Governor Ademola Adeleke, FCT Minister Nyesom Wike, David Adeleke, and Joaquin Nyesom-Wike.

Politics

‘I won, beat you guys,’ Davido teases Wike over Osun poll victory

In the short clip, the singer said, “I won, beat you guys,” as Mr Wike responded, disputing the claim, saying, “No, no.”

Heap of naira cash

NationWide

The face of Nigeria’s first naira trillionaire, his net worth, businesses

His multinational conglomerate was estimated at $35.2 billion (₦47.45 trillion based on ₦1,348 to $1). This makes him the 66th richest person globally.

NationWide

How El-Rufai started rumour about me being Mossad agent: Donald Duke

“It was Nasir El-Rufai who started the rumours about me being Mossad, and I confronted him about it,” Mr Duke said.

Tinubu sitting with Atiku

Economy

Atiku advertising economic ignorance by pushing to restore fuel subsidy in Nigeria: Tinubu

“One of my opponents now says he will go back to subsidy. I read it. That is a demonstration of serious ignorance of governance and economy,” Mr Tinubu stated.

Biodun Oyebanji

Politics

Oluyede visits Ekiti governor, pledges support for Tinubu’s re-election

Wole Oluyede, PDP governorship candidate in the June 20 election in Ekiti, has promised to work for the re-election of President Bola Tinubu in the 2027 presidential election.