Emefiele withdraws lawsuit, backs down from presidential contest
Godwin Emefiele has withdrawn his lawsuit seeking to run for president while serving as the governor of Nigeria’s central bank, a move that consequently shelved his controversial ambition to lead the country from next year.
“We shall be praying your Lordship to respectfully discontinue the suit and make an order striking out the suit,” Mr Emefiele’s lawyers told the Abuja Division of the Federal High Court on Monday afternoon.
Mr Emefiele filed the suit earlier this month, erasing doubts about his intention to run for president. His action drew immediate backlash, compelling President Muhammadu Buhari to issue a directive for him and other appointees to resign in pursuit of their political ambitions.
Following the president’s order, Mr Emefiele relaxed his aggressive push for ruling APC’s presidential nomination.
His membership in the ruling party, however, is likely to keep generating anger amongst Nigerians and foreign investors who believe the CBN should be an independent institution.
We have recently deactivated our website's comment provider in favour of other channels of distribution and commentary. We encourage you to join the conversation on our stories via our Facebook, Twitter and other social media pages.
More from Peoples Gazette
Mr Aliyu, the deceased husband, appealed to the state government to expedite the execution of the judgment.
In June, Prime Minister Justin Trudeau announced that a new task force had been established to handle immigration processing delays.
“We’ve got to be smarter as a country in terms of who has access to what, in particular assault weapons,’’ Ms Harris said.
Kogi sector commander Stephen Dawulung said that the team would also checkmate carnage during the festivities.
“But if I grant this application and the defendant fails to appear on the next adjourned date, I will make an order declaring him wanted.”