Employers hiring illegal workers risk £60,000 fine or five years in jail from October 1: UK Govt

The United Kingdom on Wednesday warned that employers hiring illegal workers as food delivery drivers or construction workers will pay a fine of £60,000 per illegal worker or risk five years in jail.
The UK Home Office made this announcement in a statement on Wednesday, adding it would take effect from October 1.
“From 1 October, employers caught hiring illegal workers as food delivery drivers or construction workers will face fines of up to £60,000 per illegal worker or five years in prison,” the Home Office said.
It added, “Gig economy employers will be legally required to ensure Right to Work checks are undertaken.”
This comes as UK government clamps down on illegal workers in the country.
Last year, the UK government said, “Clamping down on illegal working forms a critical part of the government’s plan to strengthen the entire immigration system, restoring tough enforcement of the rules and undermine people smugglers using the false promise of jobs for migrants.”
We have recently deactivated our website's comment provider in favour of other channels of distribution and commentary. We encourage you to join the conversation on our stories via our Facebook, Twitter and other social media pages.
More from Peoples Gazette

Agriculture
FG tasks ECOWAS on leveraging financing strategies for agroecology
The federal government has urged stakeholders in the agriculture and finance sectors in the West Africa region to leverage financing strategies to enhance agroecology practices

Politics
Katsina youths pledge to deliver over 2 million votes to Atiku
“Katsina State is Atiku’s political base because it is his second home.”

Politics
I won’t focus on religion, ethnicity in my 2027 presidential election campaign: Obi
“Daddy, I need you to speak to your people in the South-West and Kwara, the Christians in the South-West and Kwara,” Mr Obi said in 2023. “This is a religious war.”

Politics
Elegushi hails Olu of Warri on fifth coronation anniversary
The traditional ruler of Ikate-Elegushi Kingdom, Saheed Elegushi, has praised the Olu of Warri, Ogiame Atuwatse III, for five years of purposeful leadership.

Politics
Women networks unveil ‘Project 4+4’ for Tinubu, Shettima
APC women have unveiled the ‘Project 4+4 for Tinubu/Shettima 2027’.

Rights
Rivers: NAPTIP seals off ‘baby factory’ in Port Harcourt
NAPTIP says it has sealed a maternity home in Port Harcourt, Rivers, suspected of operating illegal baby factory activities and trafficking children.

Anti-Corruption
Procurement bureau seeks stronger CSO participation in public procurement monitoring
BPP has called for stronger participation of civil society organisations in monitoring Nigeria’s public procurement system to ensure value for public expenditure.

States
Nigerian man arrested for multimillion-naira visa fraud, risks years in jail
A 53-year-old man, Babalola Waheed, was arraigned on Friday on charges of multimillion-naira visa fraud.






