#EndHunger Protests: Nigerian Army admits killing 16-year-old boy by ‘mistake’
![Chief of Army Staff (COAS), Lt-General Taoreed Lagbaja [Photo Shettima]](https://gazettengr.com/wp-content/uploads/Chief-of-Army-Staff-COAS-Lt-General-Taoreed-Lagbaja-Photo-Shettima.png)
The Nigerian Army says its troops mistakenly killed a teenager during the #EndBadGovernance protests in Samaru town in Zaria, Kaduna on Tuesday.
A statement, shortly after the fatal shooting, by army spokesperson Onyema Nwachukwu said 16-year-old boy Ismail Mohammed was killed by a soldier who wanted to fire a warning shot to disperse hoodlums.
The army said it was alerted by a distress call that the protests in Samaru had turned violent and that hordes of hoodlums were “burning tyres on the road and pelting stones on security personnel.”
Mr Nwachukwu said troops were deployed to restore calm and enforce the curfew that Governor Uba Sani had earlier imposed but that the soldiers were fiercely resisted.
The army spokesperson said that the “hoodlums brazenly attempted attacking the troops, prompting a soldier to fire a warning shot to scare the hoodlums away, which unfortunately led to the death of a 16-year-old boy, Ismail Mohammed.”
The soldier who fired the fatal shot, according to Mr Nwachukwu, has been taken in for questioning while a delegation of officers was sent to condole with the bereaved and attend Mr Mohammed’s burial.
The deceased’s mother, Zainab Sani, said the shooting occurred around 9:00 a.m. at the family’s residence at Sarkin Pawa Street, Samaru, Zaria, by a soldier on patrol alongside his colleagues.
She said the late Isma’il was playing with his friends and brother in front of their house when they saw soldiers coming in their direction.
“With one of the soldiers pointing his gun at them, they ran into the house and shut the gate,” Ms Sani said.
Ms Sani alleged that the soldier, however, shot at the gate, thereby killing Isma’il, who stood by the gate to prevent the soldiers from gaining entry.
She added that his son had just written his final secondary school examination in Zaria and was seeking admission to further his education when the incident occurred.
We have recently deactivated our website's comment provider in favour of other channels of distribution and commentary. We encourage you to join the conversation on our stories via our Facebook, Twitter and other social media pages.
More from Peoples Gazette

Agriculture
FG tasks ECOWAS on leveraging financing strategies for agroecology
The federal government has urged stakeholders in the agriculture and finance sectors in the West Africa region to leverage financing strategies to enhance agroecology practices

Politics
Katsina youths pledge to deliver over 2 million votes to Atiku
“Katsina State is Atiku’s political base because it is his second home.”

States
NYSC DG tasks corps members on responsible social media use
The DG noted that technology had made it increasingly difficult to distinguish between genuine and fabricated materials.

Africa
Media professionals decry threats to press freedom in West Africa
The media experts noted that press freedom and national security should be complementary objectives and not competitors.

States
NDDC begins negotiations to improve staff welfare
Mr Iyaye congratulated members of the committee on their selection by NDDC management and the NDDC Staff Union.

States
Stakeholders seek quick reform of state public health laws
Mr Danjuma described the initiative as a major milestone in strengthening public health legal preparedness.

States
Two Ogun men jailed seven years each for belonging to secret cults
The magistrate said the evidence presented by the prosecution was tenable.







