Tuesday, June 22, 2021

#EndSARS: We gave N940 million to Lagos businesses: Sanwo-Olu

Lagos supported businesses with money ranging from N50,000 to N5 million to beneficiaries to rebuild their businesses with funding from the government.

• May 6, 2021
A composite of Governor Babajide Sanwo-Olu and #EndSARS protesters used to illustrate this story
A composite of Governor Babajide Sanwo-Olu and #EndSARS protesters used to illustrate this story

Governor Babajide Sanwo-Olu says his government has supported 1,835 businesses affected by the mayhem that followed the #EndSARS protests with N939.98 million.

The Commissioner for Wealth Creation and Employment, Yetunde Arobieke, disclosed this during the 2021 Ministerial Press Briefing in commemoration of Mr Sanwo-Olu’s second year in office.

Ms Arobieke said the ministry set up the Micro, Small and Medium Enterprise Recovery Fund to support businesses in Lagos, whose properties and assets were vandalised post-#EndSARS protests that rocked the nation in October 2020.

She added Lagos supported businesses with money ranging from N50,000 to N5 million to beneficiaries to rebuild their businesses with funding from the government, corporate organisations, and private individuals.

“With a total of 1,835 beneficiaries and N939.98 million disbursed, 10,005 direct jobs and 40,020 indirect jobs were saved.

“The achievements recorded so far by the ministry have been made possible through the unwavering support of the Governor of Lagos State, Mr Babajide Olusola Sanwo-Olu, in his pursuits to mitigate unemployment in Lagos State,” the commissioner said.

Ms Arobieke stated further that the governor had approved creating a model and robust online marketplace with a lot of features that make it globally competitive.

The aim, according to her, is to expose the artisans to the global market and scale up their potentials, and government-certified artisans onboarded on the app. 

She disclosed that 2,000 artisans selected from registered trade associations were retrained in 2020, while the retraining and equipping of another batch of 2,000 artisans would soon commence.

More from Peoples Gazette

Bello and Bandits

Politics

Bandits, kidnappers are not true Fulani: Governor Bello

Governor Abubakar Sani Bello of Niger says bandits and kidnappers terrorising the country are not true Fulani.

Makinde and Amotekun

Ibadan

Insecurity: Makinde inaugurates Security Network board, Amotekun corps

Governor Seyi Makinde of Oyo inaugurated the board of the State Security Network and Amotekun corps amid worsening insecurity in the state.

Ibadan

Bandit heading to Ibadan with military kits intercepted: Army

Army says its troops operating along Mokwa-Jebba road intercepted a fleeing bandit in a vehicle travelling from Zuru to Ibadan during a stop-and-search operation.

States

Schoolchildren Abduction: Fulani leaders support fight against bandits

Fulani leaders have thrown their weight behind the fight against bandits in Kebbi amid the latest mass abduction of schoolchildren.

Google tech

Economy

Nigerian female entrepreneurs among beneficiaries of Google’s $6 million grant

Google says it will support female startups and entrepreneurs in Nigeria and other African nations with $6 million.

Weah, Buhari, Nana, Ouattara

Africa

Nigeria, Ghana, Côte d’Ivoire, Liberia meet over insecurity

Nigeria joined Côte d’Ivoire, Ghana, and Liberia in Banjul at a regional conference to discuss insecurity in West Africa.